Long Lines? What to Expect on Release Day?

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah, that's what they always say. You wouldn't expect anyone to openly come out and say, "Yeah, we're kinda sucking wind on the production schedule. We're only expecting to ship about 10% of what we think demand to be." What would that do to Apple's lofty stock price? And that person's job, not to mention his job prospects. :)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Yeah, that's what they always say. You wouldn't expect anyone to openly come out and say, "Yeah, we're kinda sucking wind on the production schedule. We're only expecting to ship about 10% of what we think demand to be." What would that do to Apple's lofty stock price? And that person's job, not to mention his job prospects. :)
Why'd you have to go and spoil it! Of course, you are absolutely right. :)

soleobjective

Mar 7, 2007
ahh i really hope ppl don't start camping out like 4 days before the release date like they did for the PS3 release... i just cant see myself camping outside for a cell phone.....

i guess i will have to wait a little longer if all the iPhones sell out in the first shipment

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
If the execs were worried about meeting the ship date or about the quantities available, I would expect them not to say anything. I would hope they would not lie. We are talking about Apple not Microsoft after all :p.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I don't think Apple's making even a peep about any of this, other than to say the ship date will be late June. Everything else has come from loose lips at Cingular.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I don't think Apple's making even a peep about any of this, other than to say the ship date will be late June. Everything else has come from loose lips at Cingular.
According to the article, the comments were made by "Apple executives Peter Oppenheimer (Chief Financial Officer), David Moody (Vice President of Mac Product Marketing), and Eddy Cue (Vice President of iTunes)."

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
So I guess Apple could have not mentioned it. Then why did they say it at all? Supply must be something they are concerned about and they are truly trying to ramp up?

miguel446

May 9, 2007
Considering that they were waiting for FCC approval I would think they've had more than enough time to manufacture enough units to fulfill any demaind placed on them.

naethe1

May 9, 2007
I am kind of a nerd also. I will camp out for 2 days if I have to. My friends and I will probably take shifts. LoL:cool:

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Of course I want to get the iPhone on the day it is released, but I was wondering how it would all work. Is there going to be massive lines at the cingular stores? Are the stores going to get many phones? or just 4 or 5? I don't want to have to camp out the night before... that's a little too nerdy lol. :p
I also am wondering how many eachh store will get. I bet that Apple stores will have more than Cingular stores, because Apple will want their sales people to answer questions, and more people will think of going directly to an Apple store. I sure hope that it doesn't turn into the whole deal that happened with the PS3 and Wii release. There are still almost no places with them in stock. so hopefully Apple will supply each store with 100 or more iPhones, but this seems hard to manufacture that many at once

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Info here...

Just a small bit of info,

I called the Apple corporate phone number, or whatever you want to call it, today, and they mentioned that they had received two million requests for the iPhone. They also said that they plan to get to that point or more, and overall put as many on the market as possible. This is good news.

I also asked about the release date, hoping they would accidentally spill it, but they still mentioned late June. They said no preorders via Apple at the moment, either.

So a little info from Apple.

Thanks.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I also asked about the release date, hoping they would accidentally spill it, but they still mentioned late June. They said no preorders via Apple at the moment, either.
Sounds like we need to band together for some social engineering. We pick a range of dates and several people call and ask if June X is the right date and gauge their responses. ;)

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Sounds like a good idea. I got June 18th :D

Or we just start bribing. "20 bucks for a release date."

And if none of that works, we find Steve Job's phone number and spam him ;)

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
Ha! That would be awesome, lol. I assume Steve Jobs has had to change his number through all this. :)

I too keep calling the Cingular stores in my area.. Today I got someone that said they hear it's going to be nothing like the PS3 or Wii release. Supposed to have more phones than needed, and even after the release date they are going to be shipping them steadily.

I really, really want to believe this! :sick:

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Ha! That would be awesome, lol. I assume Steve Jobs has had to change his number through all this. :)

I too keep calling the Cingular stores in my area.. Today I got someone that said they hear it's going to be nothing like the PS3 or Wii release. Supposed to have more phones than needed, and even after the release date they are going to be shipping them steadily.

I really, really want to believe this! :sick:
as good as that sounds, obviously they will say that. they are a company and want to put on a show and say everything will be perfect. hopefully it will be true though. and count me in on this calling cingular thing! :laugh2: !

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I have a feeling Jobs will announce availability on Monday at the keynote... saying you can pre-order now at Apple.com or Cingular.com for a June 15th(?) ship date then go activate at a Cingular store. Or you can choose to get it and activate it right from a Cingular store on that date.

I would never stand in line for any product... that's absolutely too fanatic for me. I don't mind waiting another couple days to have it shipped to me... I mean, we've already waited 6 months... what's a couple more days? I doubt the iPhone is going to be as popular as Wii or PS3, but I guess time will tell.

Should be interesting nonetheless...

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
I have a feeling Jobs will announce availability on Monday at the keynote... saying you can pre-order now at Apple.com or Cingular.com for a June 15th(?) ship date then go activate at a Cingular store. Or you can choose to get it and activate it right from a Cingular store on that date.

We may also be able to activate it from home too. I've done that before with Cingular.. Ordered a phone from their website, when it arrived I called the number that they included in the box and they walked me through activating it and switching my sim card and whatnot.
I'm not sure if it will work for the iPhone release, but then again, I can't see why not. :laugh2:

lol, I love speculating!

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
We may also be able to activate it from home too. I've done that before with Cingular..
were you a Cingular customer when you did that? I'd imagine that might be the same procedure.. new customers? who knows...

should be interesting to see ordering will actually work... if there was a choice to order from Apple.com or Cingular.com I wonder how each would do the fufillment / processing /etc.