Long trip advice?

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Taking a trip tomorrow, about an hour and ten minutes, depending on traffic. I know it's really not that long, but I've never driven for that long at one time before, and it's got me a little tripped out. Anyone got any advice on how to keep myself alert and on top of things?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Driving wise?

If you're concerned about staying alert/awake the fail-safe would of course be to have some caffeine or eat an Apple. If you start to feel drowsy the smartest thing would be to pull over, however, that's time consuming. I usually turn the music up and roll down the windows if I feel a bit tired.

What's the longest you've driven for before?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You'll be fine. I wouldn't let it get too warm in the car - that can make a person sleepy. I think the drive will go by pretty fast for you anyway.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
good music is key...something you are familiar with, not something you don't know well. an hour or two really flies by, so don't sweat it. :eek:k:eek:k

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
You'll be fine. I wouldn't let it get too warm in the car - that can make a person sleepy. I think the drive will go by pretty fast for you anyway.
Is this a reference to my sexual life!?
(I realize this comment may be in bad taste but I really, seriously, forrealz could not pass that up.)

good music is key...something you are familiar with, not something you don't know well. an hour or two really flies by, so don't sweat it. :eek:k:eek:k
That sounds good. Looks like I'll have to dust off my Psychopathic Records albums... :sneaky:

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Taking a trip tomorrow, about an hour and ten minutes, depending on traffic. I know it's really not that long, but I've never driven for that long at one time before, and it's got me a little tripped out. Anyone got any advice on how to keep myself alert and on top of things?
I would say Drink Coffee
don't be nervous, don't grip the steering wheel to tight
Always be aware of cars around you , don't just trust your mirror while changing lanes

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
The longest I've ever driven was for three hours going and three hours coming and without a license. Imagine how nervous I was, afraid of getting busted by the cops or something. I had three friends with me in the car, though, so it was almost impossible to sleep as we were talking and stuff. I'd say bring a friend with you - if possible - or just listen to house or metal music in order to stay awake. Coffe, as iCafe said, is a good idea but don't drink a lot or you'll feel like pissing every fifteen minutes, and that sucks :D.

Good luck man and stay safe.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You can do other things for over an hour at a stretch without falling asleep, right? What makes you think driving will be any different? You'll be fine!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I'm actually driving 5ish hours to FL tomorrow (by myself) to meet up with some lame friend. Feeling your pain.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
an hour? easy.

just listen to good music, but don't have it so loud that you can't be aware of sounds outside of your car.
meaning,

if someone is beeping at you, you need to be able to hear it.

a test i do when i have music fairly loud is i honk the horn, and depends on how loudly i hear it, i adjust my music.

oh, by the way,

staring off into space is usually a bad idea.

and don't mess with the music too much, just make a playlist beforehand, and turn it on.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I once drove from MI to AZ once, straight through. 31 hrs. wouldn't dream of trying that anymore. I can't go that long without some beers :cool:

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I once drove from MI to AZ once, straight through. 31 hrs. wouldn't dream of trying that anymore. I can't go that long without some beers :cool:
I've done New Orleans to Denver alone which, if I recall correctly, was somewhere between 17-19 hours. Come to think of it, it may have been 21. Anyway, it seemed like an eternity and I certainly wouldn't do it again.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I've done New Orleans to Denver alone which, if I recall correctly, was somewhere between 17-19 hours. Come to think of it, it may have been 21. Anyway, it seemed like an eternity and I certainly wouldn't do it again.
The trip back was faster, but can't remember as much. Gotta love the OK toll road in the middle of the night. Cruise set at 110, in between big rigs.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Indianapolis to north Cali coast, down the coast back to Indy. Long drive.