longer cord to charge the phone with?

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
so we all know the power adapter with Apple's usb cord goes all of about 3 feet. i need it to go about 7-8 feet. i bought a cord off ebay last year that was usb with an ipod connector, but it took a long time to charge the iPhone; Apple's charged my iPhone fully in the same amount of time as it took this cord to charge it 50 percent. would it be best just to get an extension cord and then just plug the adapter into the extension cord, or what? any suggestions?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It could be that the cord was not made by Apple and thus just not as good charging the phone. I would try checking with Apple if you want a longer cord that will also live up to the Apple standards.

rmfnla

Bronze
You want the cord (extension or otherwise) to be at least USB 2.0 rated.

Odds are good your fleabay "find" was V. 1.2 which does not support the same level of bandwidth, speed or power.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
if i use a 2.0 extension cord, will it charge just as quickly as if I weren't using the extension and just the straight usb cable to ipod to adapter?

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I use a 2.0 USB extender and it works great. I always take it when I travel because sometimes the plug outlet is not that close to the bed.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I use a 2.0 USB extender and it works great. I always take it when I travel because sometimes the plug outlet is not that close to the bed.

and it charges it just as quickly as if you weren't using the extender?

Apr 21, 2009
The length of the cable will not affect the current running through it, when its just a few feet of difference. It is what the cable is capable of carrying that matters.

You wouldn't lose too much to notice with just a few feet of extension. Now if you were trying to run a miliamp of current across 100 miles of cable, then you probably would never get your phone charged.

For example, cables that are considered "critical length" are cables that carry RF (radio frequency), and its due to the amount of loss across the length of the cable. That's more "gee-whiz" information than anything really.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
never heard that there were 1.2 and 2.0 cables, surely a cable is a cable, someone explain what the diference would possibly be please as I would think any copper wire was able to support 2.0 and would not be rated?

Apr 21, 2009
USB 2.0 supports 480Mbit/s where as 1.0 is 1.5Mbit/s at low speed and 12Mbit/s at high speed.

I've never heard of a 1.2 USB. There was a 1.1 but that was released shortly after the 1.0 and there wasn't much of a difference.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Thanks ichi, regardless of my typo and speeds of USB, I was enquiring about cables as it was implied earlier in the thread that the cable would make a difference and I was unaware that the cable type would make any odds.

Apr 21, 2009
Oh, well no problem.

I could only assume that since the 2.0 supports higher data transfer, maybe then it allows the iPhone to charge at a faster rate? I know that length will not cause any issues.