Longer iPhone charger cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by hotskate, Dec 19, 2007.

1. hotskate

hotskate Member
    Bronze

Do they make a longer iPhone charger cable? The one that comes with the iPhone is too small for my needs. Can I extend it somehow?

#1 hotskate, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  2. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

Are you talking about the USB cable that connects from the phone into the computer? I'm sure they do because I have about 5 and only 3 of them are the same length and 2 of them are definitely longer. I would check the Apple site of course but I can't recall ever noticing anything about different lengths.

3. wrhutch

wrhutch Member
    Bronze

I use a 6 foot cable for my desk at work that I purchased at Walmart.

4. gcvt

gcvt Zealot
    Gold

Yup, Best Buy sells longer cables as well.

5. john7760

john7760 New Member

buy a cheap usb extension cable and any usb cable gets longer. They work great any device that just ain't quite long enough

6. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Yep! This is what I did. Work great.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

For the ones that are saying they bought some from Walmart or Best Buy that are longer, are these I'm assuming off market cables?

I wish Apple made longer ones, but my eBay guy will be sending me one when he gets them in. 3 feet just sucks.

8. shark5150

shark5150 New Member

Just need to make sure they're Apple certified so you don't get that on screen warning.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Warning is just letting you know it may cause issues lol. I've been using non Apple made chargers for a while now. No issues.

10. shark5150

shark5150 New Member

Just annoying I guess.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

It doesn't happen to me anymore. Even new third-party cables don't do it to me anymore.

12. shark5150

shark5150 New Member

Really......? Happens all the time. If the cable is not Apple certified, the software picks it up 100% of the time. It's their safety protocol in response to all the overheating and injury cases. You must be lucky I guess b

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I guess so. My provider that I test cables for lives in Cali but gets them from afar of course. :p

14. darkpoet25

darkpoet25 Member
    Bronze

I wouldn't recommend going with the ONN brand that Wal Mart carries. They are really cheaply made, don't know about the Insignia brand that Best Buy carries. Apple do make a 6.6' Lightning Cable for $29.99, Best Buy has them. Belkin and Griffin Technology usually make pretty good cables, and don't get too expensive.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I bought a 10' MFi monoprice Certified lightning cable several months ago. It's been great. After updating to iOS 8, I got the "May not work with this device" pop up. Only got it once. Not sure why.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

As far as I am aware, Apple only makes the 3" cables. Nonetheless, my provider on eBay, I test cables for him...and the original size ones, although not Apple made, work fantastically. A few broke faster, but that may have been because of the Otterbox case. I had to actually wiggle the cable out, causing it to show wear and tear.

17. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Too long? I want one shorter but all the aftermarket ones don't last long and I end up getting another Apple cable.

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I could send you one I get from my eBay guy. It almost lasts forever as long as no abuse is done to it.

19. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I keep it in my pocket and use it with my spare battery when needed but my 6 doesn't need to be charged as often as my 5 did.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yeah I'm still at 40% and I took it off charge at 100% last night. Were you referring to wanting a cable smaller than 3 ft? If so, why?