Looking for iPhone programmer

ZenDavis

Aug 13, 2009
TEAM NAME:
Zen Davis

PROJECT NAME:
Alphabetica

BRIEF DESCRIPTION:
A block based puzzle game. I will elaborate once interested parties have signed NDAs.

TARGET AIM:
iPhone App Store

COMPENSATION:
Percentages of profits will be divided at that time when the game begins to make money.

TECHNOLOGY
Obj-C, Cocoa

TALENT NEEDED:
Looking for a dedicated progranmer. I don't expect the game to be too difficult to develop. Tetris Attack would be our prime inspiration.

01. Programmar - Event programming and development of game mechanics. Preferred experience with iPhone SDK but not necessary.

Gameplay Mechanics: The game is centered around picking a stage from the overworld by pressing a small dot on the iPhone's touch screen. Once selected a puzzle based block match game is started. I will elaborate once interested parties have signed NDAs.

AIM: ZenDDavis

Thanks!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Have I got this right, you have an idea - thats all - just an idea. You want a developer / programmar to create an app and you share the profits? Why would a developer sign up to that when they could just create it themselves?

What do you bring to the table? If you just have an idea, submit it to one of the sites that pay you a commission if they make the app and it sells.

ZenDavis

Aug 13, 2009
Have I got this right, you have an idea - thats all - just an idea. You want a developer / programmar to create an app and you share the profits? Why would a developer sign up to that when they could just create it themselves?
Because not all ideas are created equal.

Just look at the amount of shovelware that liters the App Store and tell me that I'm wrong.

Just look at the number of developers, directors, and musicians who all have ideas of their own that turn out nothing but garbage.

Just look at any publisher who tries to push their own ideas into a project when they have no idea what the hell they're doing.

Every idea has its own merit. Judge mine on its. Not on your self-righteousness that yours are equal to mine without having any information to base your claim in truth.

Bottom line - good ideas do not equal good game design. Thank you for reading my thread.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Bottom line - good ideas do not equal good game design. Thank you for reading my thread.
If you believe your idea is that good, submit it to one of the many sites that will create an app based on your idea. If they believe its as good as you. Then you will have your game created and you will be given a share of the profits.

Here is an example of an app thats available through iTunes that lets you submit your ideas for cash.

http://www.iPhonestalk.com/app-incubator-allows-you-to-submit-your-iphone-app-ideas/

However, if you just want a programmar to work for free on a project on the basis they could earn cash at the end if the app sells, and that cash is based on a split with you that means the app would have to be a very good seller in order to make a developer some serious cash. Im going to quote an O'Reilly article which can be found at http://blogs.oreilly.com/iPhone/2008/11/turning-ideas-into-application.html

"The demand for iPhone developers exceeds the supply and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The going rate for iPhone developers, at least the developers I know and trust, is $125/hour and up. I have some friends who are booked out at $200/hour for the next few months, although $125/hour seems to be the going rate in my network. At that rate, a full-time contract iPhone developer costs $5,000/week and it may take four to six weeks for an application to be developed.

Sometimes it will take less and sometimes it will take more. Add to development the other costs - project management, design, QA, and marketing, to name a few. It's not uncommon to spend $30,000 and up on an iPhone development project. iPhone applications are not cheap.

I am someone who is highly motivated by ideas. So, it pains me to say that the value of an iPhone application idea right now is pretty much zero. A great idea isn't worth anything under these conditions. There is no shortage of great iPhone ideas, just a shortage of talent to bring these ideas to market. Many people in my network have stopped doing contract work altogether, focusing instead on self-publishing on the App Store and making a living from software sales. The few examples we've had of App Store millionaires has been an inspiration to many to drop out of the contract market."

Thank you for reading my reply.

ZenDavis

Aug 13, 2009
If you believe your idea is that good, submit it to one of the many sites that will create an app based on your idea. If they believe its as good as you. Then you will have your game created and you will be given a share of the profits.

Here is an example of an app thats available through iTunes that lets you submit your ideas for cash.

http://www.iPhonestalk.com/app-incubator-allows-you-to-submit-your-iphone-app-ideas/

However, if you just want a programmar to work for free on a project on the basis they could earn cash at the end if the app sells, and that cash is based on a split with you that means the app would have to be a very good seller in order to make a developer some serious cash. Im going to quote an O'Reilly article which can be found at http://blogs.oreilly.com/iPhone/2008/11/turning-ideas-into-application.html

"The demand for iPhone developers exceeds the supply and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The going rate for iPhone developers, at least the developers I know and trust, is $125/hour and up. I have some friends who are booked out at $200/hour for the next few months, although $125/hour seems to be the going rate in my network. At that rate, a full-time contract iPhone developer costs $5,000/week and it may take four to six weeks for an application to be developed.

Sometimes it will take less and sometimes it will take more. Add to development the other costs - project management, design, QA, and marketing, to name a few. It's not uncommon to spend $30,000 and up on an iPhone development project. iPhone applications are not cheap.

I am someone who is highly motivated by ideas. So, it pains me to say that the value of an iPhone application idea right now is pretty much zero. A great idea isn't worth anything under these conditions. There is no shortage of great iPhone ideas, just a shortage of talent to bring these ideas to market. Many people in my network have stopped doing contract work altogether, focusing instead on self-publishing on the App Store and making a living from software sales. The few examples we've had of App Store millionaires has been an inspiration to many to drop out of the contract market."

What's your point? That they could be making more elsewhere? That's perfectly understandable. What isn't understandable is the itch you've got to put me down for a reason I just don't get. Are you insulted that I would ask someone to work with me? Is that what this is?

Once again, if what you're saying is true, then the majority of musicians, game developers, and filmmakers would be heralded. They're not. The same goes for the iPhone market. Plenty of people have ideas. However I will repeat myself since you didn't get it the first time. A good idea does not equal good game design.

Remember that.

Either way, stop getting your panties in a twist. You don't want to get involved. I respect that. However you acting like I'm asking to run your dog over for ****s and giggles is just entirely unbecoming of you.

ZenDavis

Aug 13, 2009

What's your point? That they could be making more elsewhere? That's perfectly understandable. What isn't understandable is the itch you've got to put me down for a reason I just don't get. Are you insulted that I would ask someone to work with me? Is that what this is?

Once again, if what you're saying is true, then the majority of musicians, game developers, and filmmakers would be heralded. They're not. The same goes for the iPhone market. Plenty of people have ideas. However I will repeat myself since you didn't get it the first time. A good idea does not equal good game design.

Remember that. As an example, out of the games released on the iPhone over the last three months, only 1 has managed to achieve a 9.0 rating.

http://wireless.ign.com/index/revie...ribute=article.overall_rating&sort.order=desc

Far be it for you to be judgmental, but my app isn't an attempt at a get rich quick scheme. There are programmars, composers, SFX designers, and artists out there trying to build a portfolio as am I. That's who this is for. This isn't for people who are looking to amass a small goldmine although that would be nice as well. I already have located a 3D artist who is working on the art assets. I have a composer gearing up music and SFX.

Maybe as a programmar you get personally offended but please, do yourself a favor, if I'm making you unhappy, please just walk away. Thank you. For anyone else who is interested, I'd be glad to talk to you.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK

Remember that.
HAHA that is not what im saying AT ALL. Im not the type of person to criticise without reason.

My point is highlighted above.... So, it pains me to say that the value of an iPhone application idea right now is pretty much zero.

All im trying to say is that any decent developer will be earning money developing apps already. If you try to get one on board your project, they wont work for free. They have bills to pay just like the rest of us. A part time developer may help you out, but if you go down that route, how good is the app going to be with sub-standard devs on board? If they were that good they would be doing it full time making money!

Im sure your idea is great, im not critisising it one little bit, or you. Im sure your great. All im saying is that to develop an app costs money, and nobody worth working with will work for free on the basis that they could earn money if the app sells well. IMO your best option is to "sell" your idea to a company that does this professionally such as the one I linked you to before. If your idea is profitable to them then you will be rewarded. If its not, then you haven't spent a fortune hiring developers etc..

Chill out man, im only trying to explain the situation.

ZenDavis

Aug 13, 2009
HAHA that is not what im saying AT ALL. Im not the type of person to criticise without reason.

My point is highlighted above.... So, it pains me to say that the value of an iPhone application idea right now is pretty much zero.

All im trying to say is that any decent developer will be earning money developing apps already. If you try to get one on board your project, they wont work for free. They have bills to pay just like the rest of us. A part time developer may help you out, but if you go down that route, how good is the app going to be with sub-standard devs on board? If they were that good they would be doing it full time making money!

Im sure your idea is great, im not critisising it one little bit, or you. Im sure your great. All im saying is that to develop an app costs money, and nobody worth working with will work for free on the basis that they could earn money if the app sells well. IMO your best option is to "sell" your idea to a company that does this professionally such as the one I linked you to before. If your idea is profitable to them then you will be rewarded. If its not, then you haven't spent a fortune hiring developers etc..

Chill out man, im only trying to explain the situation.
I am very relaxed. As I edited into my post before -

There are programmars, composers, SFX designers, and artists out there trying to build a portfolio as am I. That's who this is for. This isn't for people who are looking to amass a small goldmine although that would be nice as well. I already have located a 3D artist who is working on the art assets. I have a composer gearing up music and SFX. All I need is a programmar willing to join the project.