Looking for iPhone speakers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rvincent

Dec 1, 2007
Santa Claus wants to get me a set of speakers to dock my iPhone on. Silly old guy said he can't find any that work with my expensive new phone! Does anyone have suggestions for him?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i tested out a Bose dock designed for ipods that worked great with my iPhone. You will probably get some weird noises if you get a call while it is docked (for this reason most speakers might say "not designed for iPhone" or something along those lines). But they should work just the same.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Someone else on here (apologizing in advance for forgetting posters name) tested their iPhone on a Bose dock; good thing he was near an Apple store to get a replacement.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hmm... i plug mine into one at work at least once a week, and have not had any problems...

at any rate, there ARE speakers out there that will work.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I did a lot of shopping looking for the best speaker (for me) when I initially got my iPod. Right now, I'm so burned out from shopping that I'm willing to wait until I see "made for iPhone" on the actual packaging.

I no longer want to beta test anything.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Someone else on here (apologizing in advance for forgetting posters name) tested their iPhone on a Bose dock; good thing he was near an Apple store to get a replacement.
I remember that posting too...guy said the Bose speakers "fried" his iPhone. I got this Altec Lansing dock:

http://www.altecmm.com/product_details.asp?pID=IM600

Though made for iPod, it's quite ok for the iPhone. Like one poster said earlier, you'll get a prompt saying it's not made for the iPhone and whether you would like to turn on airplane mode to avoid interference? If you choose "No", you'll get intermittent statics, but that's all.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
The only one made right now that says it's made to work with the iPhone is the Bose SoundDock Portable.
I've tried others and they work.
One that intrigues me is the new Axiom Audiobyte Speakers. You can plug in any USB dock, so you'd be able to play your iPhone through that. You may need to enable Airplane mode to avoid radio interference though.
Axiom Audio is well known for making very nice speakers.

sbpwjm

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
i just posted under a different topic that the b & w zeppelin states that it works with the iPhone but that you might see an error messge displayed... also that if you get a call you would have to undock..

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
The only one made right now that says it's made to work with the iPhone is the Bose SoundDock Portable.
I've tried others and they work.
One that intrigues me is the new Axiom Audiobyte Speakers. You can plug in any USB dock, so you'd be able to play your iPhone through that. You may need to enable Airplane mode to avoid radio interference though.
Axiom Audio is well known for making very nice speakers.

George works with iPhone

Attachments