Looking for the Definative Answer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 8, 2007
If this has been answered I'm sorry.

I just went into an ATT store and ask the lady if the persons who's name is on the account had to be present to buy an iPhone even if you are an existing customer and she said yes. ?$#@%$# My wife and I are on a family talk plan and it happens to be in her name. Well, it was hard enough to talk her into let me buy one of these things, she sure isn't going to sit in line me!

Please help, is this true for an Apple store as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I'm in the exact same boat as you. My husband is the account holder. I talked to my girl at the ATT and she said yes that is true, but she would let me do it because she deals with me all the time. I'm going to have him there just in case. It makes zero sense though. They are only selling the phone and giving you an authorization number. I'm married to the guy for Godsakes!

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
This has got to be a load of crap. Why would it matter? Just say then that you are a new customer. The set up is AT YOUR HOUSE and on your computer. I don't see how this can be.

debest74

Bronze
May 4, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
AT&T told me that the account holder did not have 2 be there, as long as u were authorized in the account. Tell the account holder 2 authorize u, give your S.S.# and when u get there they will ask u for an I.D and the 4 las digit numbers of your SS#. ...I have bought lots of phones this way and I have have never had any problem...

Jun 8, 2007
I thought you couldn't get it on the Family Plan thing? Wasn't this discussed in another thread?

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-service-question-data-plan.2392/
That is not true, for sure I can get the phone, all I have to do is add the 20 data plan to my existing voice plan. I just don't understand why it matters who buys the phone, I don't think you have to do anythiong at the Apple store just walk in and buy the kit and go home and set it up on your existing plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I think it matters in the same way that they don't want you walking in and charging the plan to somebody else without their permission.

Jun 8, 2007
I think it matters in the same way that they don't want you walking in and charging the plan to somebody else without their permission.

You activate it on iTunes not at the store. You r just buying apiece of equipment at the store. There is no plan or contract attached to it at that point. There is no reason that anyone can'nt go in a buy it. Do they check your account when you buy an Ipod?

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Yep as long as your not renewing your contract at the store, you can just buy the phone itself. The proof is that you can buy online from Apple or at Apple stores which don't require you to sign a contract.