Looking for unusual help

Aug 11, 2007
So to set the stage: I purchased my iPhone mid july. At the time i didn't intend to use it as a phone (and obviously wasn't aware that a "touch" would be coming out) so i used dvd jons software to just unlock it for all the features excluding the phone. Recently i accidentally upgraded to 1.1.1 which locked it up again. After a restore and rolling back the software to 1.0.2 everything is fine again. Heres the deal: Now i've decided that i want to activate my phone for service, however, ive come upon an interesting predicament. I can't figure out how to get iTunes to prompt me to activate. Every time i plug the iPhone in, sim card or not, it won't allow me to activate. Perhaps there is just something that i'm missing/overlooking. Or perhaps ive just got to update to 1.1.1 which i'm fairly sure would allow me to avtivate, but if at all possible i'd like to avoid that. Either way, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 11, 2007
i just assumed that all of my current 3rd party apps would be screwed if i updated and id have to reinstall app tapp and do it all over again? Am i mistaken in that regard? if so that would be excellent

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
i just assumed that all of my current 3rd party apps would be screwed if i updated and id have to reinstall app tapp and do it all over again? Am i mistaken in that regard? if so that would be excellent

I am pretty sure you have to upgrade to 1.1.1 in order for it to let you activate. Also, you may want to find out if you are using the current iTunes software... i couldn't figure out how to upgrade to 1.1.1, and it was all because I had the old iTunes version. My guess is that you will have to add the app tapp all over again, but it would be a trade off for getting the device to operate as a phone as well.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS

You would unfortunately have to reinstall Installer.app but it's not that hard to do. Once you do that, you'd be golden.

Oct 27, 2007
?

Why do you want to avoid updating to 1.1.1? It's been Jailbroken so 3rd party apps work on 1.1.1 now. Was there some other reason you didn't want to upgrade?
I just noticed that you hacked your iPhone with a mac computer. I'm trying to do the same thing with a G4 and an iPhone that had 1.1.1 when I bought it. Where did you download?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
When you press restore in iTunes it will download and install 1.1.1. After installed it will ask if you want to back up this iPhone from back-up files, or if you'd like to activate as a new iPhone. Choose the latter.