Looking for video editing app, alternative to iMovie

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by satheesanop, Aug 20, 2010.

1. satheesanop

satheesanop New Member

Hi everybody....
    I am new to iPhone development and trying to do an app related to video editing...please give me any information related to this ...thanks in advance...

2. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

You need to Google about this!

3. Krabby1

Krabby1 New Member
    Bronze

Splice is the best video editing app I've seen so far! The only drawn back and I'm talking about the only is the fact that it doesn't export HD videos. Another choice is Imovie, but it's crappy and limit on what you can do, but it export HD videos though.

4. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

I'll guess he's not seeking for apps, he's trying to develop one...

5. luckgreenlucky

luckgreenlucky New Member
    Bronze

You would be able to make photo albums, office presentations, fan music videos, intros, etc. Although, I am a Pr0gramm3r, I always wanted to learn editing, and it took me a lot of time to get up to speed. I'll be happy to use my experience to teach others who always wanted to learn this skill.
    EDIT: Another thing I'd like to add is that (at least for the initial lessons) I would be emphasizing exclusively on the basics of video editing (irrespective of the software). You can then apply that knowledge to any program you want. All the important principles will apply equally to any Editor.
    Following is the kind of video that you'll be able to make with the skills learned in the first few weeks
    An example of something you can create after becoming proficient (i.e. couple of months)

Movie Trailer example (by the end of course)

6. Krabby1

Krabby1 New Member
    Bronze

Oppps! Please pardon me, I haven't gotten my shafe of the morning coffee yet. If thats the case the OP should check out Splice, copy its feature and allow HD exporting, i would be all over it like white on rice.

7. kyleplusitunes

Silver

Apple beat you to it, it's called iMovie

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

ReelDirector is the best video editing app in the AppStore IMO. It exports in HD, has a lot of transition effects, Ken Burns effect on photos, ability to add text and titles to the video, ability to add iPod music to the video, etc.

9. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

Guy's -> back on track! He want some information regarding the development of a video-editing-application for the iPhone.

10. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

Apple Dev Center: Link

Smashing Magazine - article: Link

...lots of links on Google..

11. Krabby1

Krabby1 New Member
    Bronze

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get it to export HD or 720p vids. The UI on splice is much easier to work with but RD has better transition styles.

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

After you render the video, do you import it to camera roll or are you compressing it first?

13. iconone

iconone Zealot
    Gold

Anyone use a app other than iMovie to edit videos? IMovie is so basic, I need move options for the videos I am making. Please post of if you know of any.

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Reeldirector is your other option, check it out on the AppStore.
    What your looking for other than what IMovie already has?

15. ReeseyCup79

ReeseyCup79 Member
    Bronze

Yeah, Iv used the ReelDirector app a few times, it's pretty good although I never used iMovie so I can't compare

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

16. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

For now, ReelDirector is the only 'better' option. I wish more video editing apps would come out.

17. iconone

iconone Zealot
    Gold

I would like to speed up the video and slow it down. Add two videos on the same screen. Cut the sound out of some parts it the video. More transitions/effects also add text without a background.

18. iconone

iconone Zealot
    Gold

I do have a app called slowmo that speeds up or slows down the video. It works well but I had to pay another 1$ for it.

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Than you might wanna read more about it on the app store, but what you're doing already it might be your only option, unless like me You can use your computer to do all the editing.
    Reeldirector and iMovie are the 2 best in the store, if it's not there, than I don't know any other app than comes even close to these two.

20. iconone

iconone Zealot
    Gold

I don't have a computer or I would. I will get reeldirector and see how that works. Thanks for the input post up others when they come available.