Loopt?

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
For those who know about it this question is for you:

So in order for you to search for someone do they need an iPhone+loopt, either or neither? I'm confused about this applicaiton. It will be very useful if you could find any of your friends regardless of whether or not they have loopt, but if they need loopt I see this app as being pointless because I've really never heard of this applicaiton before so I doubt a lot of my friends have it in the first place.

Thanks...

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I believe you just need to have loopt on any device that is supported, as it already runs on blackberrys.

The Raven

Feb 22, 2008
Lancashire, England
I believe you just need to have loopt on any device that is supported, as it already runs on blackberrys.
Does anybody know if this is this going to be carrier specific? There doesn't seem to be any mention of o2 on the Loopt homepage :mad:

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Does anybody know if this is this going to be carrier specific? There doesn't seem to be any mention of o2 on the Loopt homepage :mad:
Probably not in the near future, I also have a BB with Verizon and there only mentioned as coming soon. It may only work on US based carriers for the time being.

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007

Ok, so if I have a friend who has a blackberry with loopt on it but he's with Verizon (I know it's coming soon, but lets just say its out now), Could I find him on loopt?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
For those who know about it this question is for you:

So in order for you to search for someone do they need an iPhone+loopt, either or neither? I'm confused about this applicaiton. It will be very useful if you could find any of your friends regardless of whether or not they have loopt, but if they need loopt I see this app as being pointless because I've really never heard of this applicaiton before so I doubt a lot of my friends have it in the first place.

Thanks...
From what i understand is that your friends need a special chip inserted in their right arm, and with loopt you will be able to track their every move and know things like when they go to the bathroom, who their sleeping with, how much money they make, if they are in a bad mood, and even know if they gained or lost weight.
:p
Seriously, this does look like a killer app, especially if loopt isn't required on their phones, I think its free too, not sure.

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
From what i understand is that your friends need a special chip inserted in their right arm, and with loopt you will be able to track their every move and know things like when they go to the bathroom, who their sleeping with, how much money they make, if they are in a bad mood, and even know if they gained or lost weight.
Seriously, this does look like a killer app, especially if loopt isn't required on their phones, I think its free too, not sure.
Haha, funny. yes, it's free but I only see it being "killer" if it's not required to have it on your phone to be tracked. But then I guess that'd be against privacy issues. I just don't see me getting it if everyone else needs it because I know none of my friends have it. Bummer :(

Jun 22, 2008
I agree...

I agree - "friend finding" only works if your friends are on it, or can easily get on it. And loopt does seem like it might be good. But I tried to get loopt on my blackberry 8830 but it didn't work. I also have been looking on Verizon since their announcement a number of months back, but nada. So I dunno - seems like more hype than something useful.

I also looked at whrrl (www.whrrl.com) and buddybeacon (www.where.com). Whrrl also seems like it could be neat, but it's not really a "buddy finder". More like map-centric Yelp. BuddyBeacon is cool because it works across a bunch of mobile phone carriers. It worked on my 8830 so that's what i've been using.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

that sounds like some Revelations 13:16-17 right there...

...but i really would like to know the details of this app...i will be getting this app at launch

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
that sounds like some Revelations 13:16-17 right there...

...but i really would like to know the details of this app...i will be getting this app at launch
I didn't think of that doron, very true, strangly enough i saw on 20/20 people are already getting RFD microchips implanted in their bodies as a way tracking their children and storing a host of medical info on that chip, so when they go to the doctor, all he has to do is scan the chip and that persons health history is readily available. Seems very Orwellian to me.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I didn't think of that doron, very true, strangly enough i saw on 20/20 people are already getting RFD microchips implanted in their bodies as a way tracking their children and storing a host of medical info on that chip, so when they go to the doctor, all he has to do is scan the chip and that persons health history is readily available. Seems very Orwellian to me.

...didn't say you did think about it...just somethn I thought about when you mention that...i wish i can see that episode of 20/20 you spoke of...some deep stuff...but with Loopt, you may not need a chip...LOL...i wonder why they call it "Loopt"?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
...didn't say you did think about it...just somethn I thought about when you mention that...i wish i can see that episode of 20/20 you spoke of...some deep stuff...but with Loopt, you may not need a chip...LOL...i wonder why they call it "Loopt"?
I think i get the Loop part, meaning all your friends are in the Loop with you, but the "t" hanging on the end there.....not sure....maybe the developer has a stuttering problem. :)

KTShines

Jun 24, 2008
Loopt on BlackBerry?

I have a BlackBerry Pearl on AT&T and Loopt definitely doesn't work on it. When I tried to download it, it says it's not supported on my phone. Yet, I keep getting these annoying text messages from Loopt reminding me that I'm sharing my location with Loopt. What's with that? Their app doesn't work on my phone yet they're making me pay 20 cents for every annoying text reminder they send me. Something is not right with that.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have a BlackBerry Pearl on AT&T and Loopt definitely doesn't work on it. When I tried to download it, it says it's not supported on my phone. Yet, I keep getting these annoying text messages from Loopt reminding me that I'm sharing my location with Loopt. What's with that? Their app doesn't work on my phone yet they're making me pay 20 cents for every annoying text reminder they send me. Something is not right with that.
Sounds like you need to send an email to their support link.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I think i get the Loop part, meaning all your friends are in the Loop with you, but the "t" hanging on the end there.....not sure....maybe the developer has a stuttering problem. :)
i'm a tell you what that "t" stands for, "track" 'em danno! track 'em:cool::laugh2:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I thought that Apple won't allow apps running in the background eating up battery, which is what Loopt sounds like it does. And even if they allow it, I don't think it would be worth losing all this battery just so my friends will know where I am.

Although, let me say, if Loopt really works with minimal battery usage and a lot of my friends have it, it would be VERY cool. Instead of calling your friend who might be on a date or in a movie or something, you just check Loopt. Or if your friend is at some bonfire or camp site in the middle of nowhere with no service and you're supposed to meet him there, you can just pull out your GPS and say "Route to John's Location". Nice!