loosing signal while in sleep mode

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Anyone else have a problem when they put there phone in sleep mode and then wake it back up, it either has little to no signal. Even when i just had full service with 5 bars previously and it hasn't moved or anything. I've restored the phone 1 time before this. What is the process of getting a replacement, since i just bought it on the 24th of december.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Take it back to the Apple store. AT&T does not warranty the iPhone. Apple alone is responsible for the warranty.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
have you had to exchange yours out before? If so is it a quick process, or would i need to wait? like is it something i can do on a lunch break if need be?

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
have you had to exchange yours out before? If so is it a quick process, or would i need to wait? like is it something i can do on a lunch break if need be?
Yes its a very quick process, if i were you i would just return it and buy another one on the spot. or if you they decide to replace it they will give you a iPhone to use in the mean time while another iPhone is being sent to you. it is really great service.

good luck

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Returning it would likely incur a restocking fee. Go for an exchange/replacement.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i agree that the restocking fee is not worth it.. i say keep it, or sell it if you don't like it... or just take it back to Apple and get it replaced...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I also have to point out that depending on where it's lying when it goes to sleep can also have an effect on it. In my office, if my phone is to the right of me and the computer, I have full signal strength. If it's to the left (closest to the cat 5 lines and power cords) is drops down to 2-3 bars.
If it's always losing signal strength no matter where you put it, I would first reboot it. if nothing changes, then I would restore it ( Apple's fix #1 for the iPhone, and they Will ask you to do it) and reboot it and test again. If it's still happening no matter where you are, then go to Apple's website and make an appointment with a Genius, and take it in. they should replace it no problem if you explain everything you have done to attempt to resolve the issue yourself. Before you leave with a replacement though, test your phone first ( which the genius will probably do anyway) and then test the new one to verify that the problem has been resolved. It would suck to get home and find you are still having a problem.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Oh ok thanks well i only leave it on pretty much 1 spot at work. But i will give it a few chances to see what's up, and im not going to return just because of the issue, i will just exchange it for another 1 at this point. i don't want to pay for something that i am returning and wont use anymore. and plus it was a xmas gift and i would have to ask for the money back from my folks then lol so yeah.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Oh ok thanks well i only leave it on pretty much 1 spot at work. But i will give it a few chances to see what's up, and im not going to return just because of the issue, i will just exchange it for another 1 at this point. i don't want to pay for something that i am returning and wont use anymore. and plus it was a xmas gift and i would have to ask for the money back from my folks then lol so yeah.

:sick:

Sdegelia

Dec 25, 2007
My brother had this problem with his iPhone. He just took it to the Apple store and they replaced it instantly, no problem. As long as its still on the warranty and you haven't voided it (i.e: jail-braking it), you should be perfectly fine.

I was lucky, I bought mine around the same time as yours (26th) and nothing has gone wrong yet :laugh2:.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Both, it doesn't happen all of the time. But i don't move the phone when i take it out of sleep mode. It will be all red (i have it so it shows colored bars), which means i don't have a signal and there is ATT or E symbol. I've missed a few calls, and sometimes my signal just goes away even though i haven't moved.

nicochory

Mar 14, 2009
Hey, I been trying all these things.. But only changing the com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist file works for me..

I am testing a new posibility to fix this issue, REMOVING "com.apple.CommCenter" and restarting the phone.

If you have WinSCP or Putty, SSH into the iPhone and input this line:

"launchctl remove com.apple.CommCenter"

Without quotes..

Almost immediately, the phone lose all signal, and must say "SEARCHING...", maybe WIFI will turn off too..

Restart the phone pressing the HOME BUTTON and the SLEEP BUTTON together until the Apple logo appears.. Release the buttons...

Apparently. this is working for me... No signal loss below 60% Battery.. And now i've full signal bar and less than 20% battery..

Sorry about my bad english, i'm from Argentina.. =S