Losing contacts going to G3?

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
So i already have a post about my cracked screen. I have a date with the Apple genius today. The one guy said it would cost 200 dollars to fix. If I cant kiss ass to get that price down im going to have to buy the 3G. I would rather not and keep my old one because of the costly plan. Can they do that in the store or how would I back them up on my computer?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
So i already have a post about my cracked screen. I have a date with the Apple genius today. The one guy said it would cost 200 dollars to fix. If I cant kiss ass to get that price down im going to have to buy the 3G. I would rather not and keep my old one because of the costly plan. Can they do that in the store or how would I back them up on my computer?
You'll be able to recover many of the files/info when you get back to your machine to sync. Unfortunately, if you have any rentals you will lose them unless you transfer them first back to your computer.

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
So just go to iTunes and hit sync and it will all be saved on my computer?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
So just go to iTunes and hit sync and it will all be saved on my computer?
Yes - contacts, music, and movies. Make sure you transfer your rental movies off; last time I went to the Apple Store, I lost them.

Also, when you get your new phone and sync for the first time, don't restore from back up. Sync as a new phone. Otherwise, you could end up with a crashing prone phone.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
well, for your contacts, you have to allow iTunes to sync to something like outlook or ical in order to save contacts and calendars. iTunes will save things like music, ringtones, home screen info (web apps and short cuts) app, non-rental videos, settings (unless you do go 3G, then most setting are re-set), but like said above, iTunes doesn't sync contacts and calendars by its self.

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
I can never figure out how to save my contacts with outlook or anything else is there a tutorial around here?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Doesn't the v1 2.0 allow you to back up to the sim card like the 3g.

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Alright I just saved them to my SIM but don't you get a new sim with the 3G iPhone?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I can never figure out how to save my contacts with outlook or anything else is there a tutorial around here?
its easy.

1. make sure you have full outlook on your computer, not outlook express. If its set up already, don't listen to #2.

2. open up outlook and follow the prompts, but for the first time (just to make it easy), check the box that says "I DO NOT EMAIL". reason for that is if you check an emailing box and don't know how to set it up, it will not let you access the calendar and contacts even if you uninstall/reinstall. Had that problem with 2003, so for 2007 I just checked the do not mail box. you can always go into outlook and add later.

3. make sure that in the info tab on iTunes check "outlook" for syncing to calendars and contacts.

BEFORE YOU SYNC

make sure on the summary tab you check the boxes at the bottom that will allow iTunes to replace the PC's info with the iPhones or you'll lose your contacts! This is a one time only check box, meaning you don't have to uncheck it as it will be unchecked the next time around.

Now, go ahead and sync the phone. all your calendars and contacts, including contact photos will be safely (I use that very loosely with and Microsoft machine...) saved to your outlook. now when you get your new phone, all that info will go onto it when you restore from a back up.

Hope that helps.