Losing Storage Space

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneuser666, Nov 4, 2010.

1. iPhoneuser666

iPhoneuser666 Member
    Silver

Hey y'all! Okay I need some advice I guess. I am running low on space on my 16GB iPhone 4, I have about 1.7 gigs left. I have been removing unnecessary apps and songs like crazy, don't have any movies on it or tv shows or music videos and I don't really keep photos on there. How do I solve this without dwindling my content down to nothing, and without spending $799 on a new 32GB (past the 30 day mark and I'm in a new 2 year contract so that's not possible)? Is my space depleting faster or being used up by something I'm unaware of?

2. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

The first thing you should do is see how the space is apportioned between content type i.e. applications, music etc. Since you mentioned there were no movies on it, I gather you have a very, very large music collection. Let's face it, it's nice to have all your music in one place. I would simply off load songs you rarely listen to. Just un-syncing a whole bunch will relinquish a great deal of space. As to APPS, I suggest you do the same. How many APPS do we have that we rarely use. I know I must have over 100 that I rarely use. When push comes to shove, I'll end up being in the same situation as you. :)

When I bought my iPhone 4 I splurged and bought the 32GB model. If there was a 64GB model, I would have bought that! I have it half full already!

Another nice feature would be to keep some content on a cloud platform like dropbox. There you'll have 2GB of free storage and there is an APP that allows you to download and upload content to it. I am sure there are other suggestions and you'll see those following my post. Good luck!

3. iPhoneuser666

iPhoneuser666 Member
    Silver

Thanks for your help! Yeah I have a pretty big music library. With the songs I selected to put on the iPhone it came out to around 7.5 GB, lol! Guess I'll have to continue modifying. And I certainly know what you mean about apps, I download on the fly and then forget I have them, haha!

4. iPhoneuser666

iPhoneuser666 Member
    Silver

Okay, iTunes says I have 1.7 GB of free space left but my iPhone says I have 3.4 GB. What gives?

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Do you have a MobileMe account? It comes with 20g of storage and you use this to stream music on your phone (so I've heard)...

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Try turning your phone off and turning it back on and re plug everything back in. I have a mobile me account and that helps a lot I personally have the 16GB model because that was all best buy had at the time. Dropbox is awesome and I suggest if your running low on space that would be great for you without having to spend $100 a year for mobileMe. I would just take your time and weed through things your not going to be using. 7.5GB of music is a good bit to have on a phone. LOL

7. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

It isn't exactly 20GB of storage. I have mobileme and its great but you don't have that much storage.

8. iPhoneuser666

iPhoneuser666 Member
    Silver

I certainly agree, lol. I will try syncing again tomorrow morning. I was kind of hoping 4.2 would be out tomorrow so that I would get something significant accomplished with this sync (trust me, if you knew my computer, you'd avoid syncing and using it too, lol), but I am guessing it's still a bit early for that. Oh well, maybe I'll have these problems fixed after syncing. The good news is, all the space the iPhone needs to run the OS is already taken up when you buy it, so the free space it tells me I have left is all mine. ;)

9. iPhoneuser666

iPhoneuser666 Member
    Silver

Forgot to mention, I do not have Mobile Me, though it would be nice.

10. Chuckh

Chuckh New Member

I am new here, I am Chuck and I have a storage problem and likely many others have this problem too.

I am losing storage space too. I updated from 7.1.2 (jailbroken) to 8.1 (not yet jailbroken, I can't read Chinese). The device looks as if it is just an 8 GB model but I know it is 16. I have just one app. I have tried PhoneClean for Windows on it and that did not do much. Here is a link to a picture of the storage Phoneclean says I have:

I was going to post a link to a screen clip but it won't let me. It is saying I have 4.49 GB free. I have no photos videos or anything like that. All I have is one measly app and I really do not think it is taking all that extra space.

It is a 16 GB iPhone and I am puzzled as to what is taking so much space. Oddly enough restoring does not get back what ever space is used by something and I doubt it is "other". I am starting to wonder if I have corrupt files. I hope this is something the Geniuses see all the time and can fix the problem and help me avoid it happening again. IOS 7.1.2 was done over WiFi and 8.1 was done on my computer with iTunes. I have uploaded a file showing my storage while running PhoneClean.

Attached Files:

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Go to Settings > General > About > Capacity.
    How much space does it show?

12. Chuckh

Chuckh New Member

It shows 5.4 GB

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your phone is an 8 GB.