Lost all my iTunes information

cwp55

Jul 15, 2007
I was transfering my iTunes music to an external hard drive, using the following link as a guide:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305451

It didn't work, and I've lost everything in iTunes.

All the music files still exist, as well as the names of my playlists, so all is not lost, but, can anyone help me get it back up and running?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You'll have to import the files back into iTunes from the file menu. If they're organized and all in one folder, just import that whole folder. Your playlists, I think, might be shot, but they may remap once you reimport. I've never really tried it.

cwp55

Jul 15, 2007
You were right. Always, always back things up.

I was able to re-import the folder. The playlists and everything returned.

In the meantime, I think I figured out my initial problem.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah I think everything will import back in with no problems but I'm pretty sure you're going to lose your playlist information. You might lose some of the album artwork and such as well.

cwp55

Jul 15, 2007
Fortunately, I didn't lose anything. Another problem has developed however.

I transfered my music to the external hard drive, and at some point during the night, the music folder DISAPPEARED.

My external hard drive is set to perform automatic backups. I had pulled my Music folder out of the iTunes file, so I'm wondering if the drive backed up exactly what it saw.

I still have the music files. My concern is how to use the external hard drive for music storage, which I can't seem to figure out.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what software are you using for automated backups?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i juat reformated the ole g4 laptop yesterday... [it was due] and i lost 15 items that i bought from iTunes.. i don't get it... i have others that i have bought... but not these.... weird... now i have to buy it again..