Lost Contacts in 2.2 upgrade, backup issues

sam1965

Dec 26, 2008
So I was upgrading my iPhone to 2.2 so that I could download applications. When iTunes asked me all that "Are you sure you want to do this?" stuff, it said that while I would lose all photos, videos, and songs, I would not lose contacts or email. So I updated it, and on the little loading screen, I saw that it backed up all my contacts. When it was finished, I unplugged it, uploaded the lightsaber app and one of the labyrinth games, and when I went to my contacts, there were none there!

So I plugged the iPhone back in to the computer, figuring that it just didn't finish restoring everything after the update. But when I plugged it in, it backed up everything from that point, and then I went to edit>preferences>devices, the only backup available was that one; it showed no previous backups. I unplugged it and came back to it an hour later and plugged it in again. It backed up from that point, and now I can't find the backup from the hour before!

Help please! There were a lot of new businesss contacts in there that I hadn't recorded elsewhere yet, and I need them back ASAP! Thanks.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I unplugged it, uploaded the lightsaber app and one of the labyrinth games, and when I went to my contacts, there were none there! Help please! There were a lot of new businesss contacts in there that I hadn't recorded elsewhere yet, and I need them back ASAP! Thanks.
The iTunes' backup is clunky and lame. If you do Time Machine backups, you might be able to pull an old one out. Otherwise, from now on, do regular contact archiving! From Mac OS X's Address Book, go to File/Export/Address Book Archive. It's saved my bacon twice.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It was news to me - but some guy here on EIC told me that iTunes only allow one backup at day! Sure you can hit the backup button, but it will overwrite the backup from the same day....in your case: if something went wrong when you restored your iPhone, and then hit the backup button...I think that's your problem right now!?