Lost contacts on a restore

Jan 16, 2008
I prep for tomorrows new iPhone purchase I needed to back up my phone, so I did a typical restore and it asked for a backup so I made one. But when I restored it all my settings and contacts are gone. My number's ive called are there but nothing else! What happened? and is there anyway I can get my contacts back.

boldblend

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
did you have your contacts synced with windows address book or some such thing? if you go to the info tab in iTunes you can sync with whatever you had your contacts synced with, if you did indeed have them synced before restore.

faseone

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Also heres a trick that might work.... I did the same thing....
If on windows, System Restore your pc to yesterday...
after that restore your iPhone to 1.1.4 or w/e u had...
when done don't sync as new phone sync from the backup u had before today...
if u synced yesterday or something your contacts will be updated from that point..
after that i suggest u sync contacts to windows contacts just to have a copy ...
good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2008
sadly the restore in windows doesn't repair files, so it still has my newest back up. Now i have it set up to sync with outlook, I totally forgot about that, and now its to late, but at least ive learned my lesson haha

faseone

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
thats not true if u system restore to an earlier date your backup of your phone would have been an earlier backup for instance a week ago...
Ive done it...
i lost all my contacts....
system restore in windows
restore iPhone...
don't setup as new phone and syc with your backup... It will be an old backup with all your contacts

matt33263

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
Texas
I prep for tomorrows new iPhone purchase I needed to back up my phone, so I did a typical restore and it asked for a backup so I made one. But when I restored it all my settings and contacts are gone. My number's ive called are there but nothing else! What happened? and is there anyway I can get my contacts back.
yeah thats not good but here is some advise for in the future:
get a mac so you can use time machine ;)

kengelmann

Bronze
Oct 31, 2007
thats not true if u system restore to an earlier date your backup of your phone would have been an earlier backup for instance a week ago...
Ive done it...
i lost all my contacts....
system restore in windows
restore iPhone...
don't setup as new phone and syc with your backup... It will be an old backup with all your contacts
Hi, Im not totally following the above, but, I need to do it. Somehow I lost my contacts also (100+) and can't get my fone to restore to a previous back-up. Can you spell it out a little clearer?

faseone

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
so if you have synced to your pc before you have a backup...
now if u syced and lost everything then your backup is empty..

1. System restore your pc to a time when u synced your phone.. or before u lost your stuff... (ie a week ago)... wait for restore
2. open iTunes
3. connect iPhone... u might get a message that is synced with another library or something... (DO NOT SYNC AT THIS POINT)..... either put your phone in restore mode or if u have the opyion to restore in iTunes by shift-clicking Do that
4. wait for iPhone to restore
5. after restore it should ask to set up as new phone or from backup...
6. select your backup(which is a backup from a week ago with all your contacts, old texts, etc.)
7. check your phone you should have all contacts back
8. SAVE THEM SOMEWHERE(outlook, windows contacts)
9. create a new contact on your pc in outlook or windows contacts
10. check the box in iTunes to sync contacts with whichever you are using and it will merge your contacts from your iPhone to your pc... easiest way w/o typing them all in

good luck

kengelmann

Bronze
Oct 31, 2007
thanks for your instructions, I think I erased my own back-up in the upgrade process. Great instructions though.

Jan 16, 2008
On windows vista, I tried it all and my back up never got restored when I went back to 2 weeks ago. It was the same back up as the day before. Windows vista also has that new shadow copy feature and it made exactly for this. When I tried to restore the back up folder (C:/documents and settings/application data/Apple Computer....) I looked inside the older files and they had modification dates of 7/10/08 when the actual back up was on the 7/2/08

faseone

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Hmmm, I'm not sure my friend... I do have Vista also... and I accidentally erased my contacts on a restore... they weren't backed up and I just system restored to the day before and synced from my backup and got everything back... maybe I was lucky I wish I could help more.....
hope all works out for you