Lost iPhone: can I prevent new "owner" from using?

Upperleftcoast

Jul 6, 2007
iPhone lost: iPhone found!

Pleased to report that one can have faith in humanity: my iPhone finder found me, and I will pick up the device later today. With a nice reward for the good citizen. Lesson learned: be careful about belt clips (mine is a "Speck" model with heavy rubber case/hard plastic belt clip. The combo is not very secure). Will also make sure to set a password for access to my files/contacts on the device (hard to believe I didn't do that right away).

Happy ending, and thanks for your condolences! It is a quite extraordinary machine, and I'm glad to have it back.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
You might stick a label with your contact info on the back of the iPhone or a businesss card (between the case and phone).

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Pleased to report that one can have faith in humanity: my iPhone finder found me, and I will pick up the device later today. With a nice reward for the good citizen. Lesson learned: be careful about belt clips (mine is a "Speck" model with heavy rubber case/hard plastic belt clip. The combo is not very secure). Will also make sure to set a password for access to my files/contacts on the device (hard to believe I didn't do that right away).

Happy ending, and thanks for your condolences! It is a quite extraordinary machine, and I'm glad to have it back.
Did you put up posters or what? How did they find you?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

Dude so glad to hear that.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
6 hours short of one week, and my iPhone is gone: left it on a table in coffee shop, and it disappeared less than one minute later. I called it, sent e-mail to it, to no avail. De-activated my number via ATT service, but was not convinced by ATT staff that new "owner" could not re-activate phone - MY iPhone. Does anybody know the facts on this? Would ATT or Apple know based on the phone serial number that an attempt is being made to activate a stolen device?

$600 bucks gone in a flash. Am I going to get a new one? Not.

This is why it never leaves my hand, my pocket or my sight. And, if it's only in sight, it's within reaching distance.

I was sitting around a poker table last night, and someone mentioned the phone out loud, after a commercial played on TV. Well, one guy asks "You guys seen that? That iPHone?"
Another guy says: "He has one!" and points to me....
The first guy's eyes grow wide, and he says "NO SH*T? How much did you pay for it?" I told him 652$.
He says "Can I see it?"
I say "No, you can't. I'm sorry. Nothing personal, but no you can't."
LOL