lost iTunes, transfer to new computer?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SuzanneR

Dec 2, 2007
My iTunes was previously on my parent's computer, but it crashed and everything was lost. I have my own PC now. My iPod still has all my music from before my parent's computer crashed, is there any way I can transfer what is on my iPod onto my new computer?

esco803

Nov 18, 2007
If it's not the "classic" you can plug it in to you pc. Open "My Computer" and find you ipod which will have it's own drive letter. Right click and explore. In the menu at the top click on tools/folder options, scroll down and make sure "show hidden folders" is selected. You will then see a folder that says either "music" or something similar. Your music will be separated into different folders containing alpha numeric titles. When you open this folder your music will have a four digit title. Just import that into iTunes and you will see the artist, song title, album info. This is how I imported my music to three laptops and a desktop. I use my old ipod as an external drive.

SuzanneR

Dec 2, 2007
Thanks for your reply. I'm new to Vista and can't find anything thank could be my iPods letter drive. Any ideas? Thanks for the help you have given me!

Nov 6, 2007
ya im having the same problem.. i reformatted my computer so i had to download iTunes again and i don't want to sync my phone and lose all my music. Does anyone know of another way to get the music from the iPhone onto the computer.. my phone is unlocked v. 1.1.1

Thanks

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
ya im having the same problem.. i reformatted my computer so i had to download iTunes again and i don't want to sync my phone and lose all my music. Does anyone know of another way to get the music from the iPhone onto the computer.. my phone is unlocked v. 1.1.1

Thanks

It will ask you if you want to transfer your purchases to the computer. But I do not want to give you bum info. I had a computer that had to have a reinstall because it crashed and would not restart, could not save the files on the computer.

Any way it worked for me. I did not lose anything.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you know, if your computers crash for any reason besides a bad hard drive, your data is likely retrievable. If you hook up the hard drive to a computer with a good OS, you should be able to recover everything.