Lost my iPhone :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rodericj, May 31, 2008.

1. rodericj

rodericj New Member

So I actually Lost my iPhone a few weeks ago. For those of you that own one, you know how enriched your life has been. For those that have lost one, I feel your pain. Can anyone give me any tips on what they would do at this point if you were I?

Would you go ahead and get the new one? Or would you see if you can craigslist an old one? Any thoughts?

2. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Well you cant get a new one. There sold out/currently unavailable. But by now if you still don't have it, you might as well wait until next week for iPhone 2...or the announcement of it.

3. projectdarkside

projectdarkside New Member

Hopefully it wasn't to much of a loss for you, but expect a $600 dollar 32GB 3G iPhone in the coming days :)

4. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

I lost my iPhone last week and to say I was devastated is an understatement. Up until I realized it was gone I never really thought about how much of my life was on that phone. I called the guy that found it and left a message begging him to do the right thing and return the phone than I left him several text messages offering a reward but to no avail. When I purchased the phone from the Apple store I bought an otterbox case/holster so the phone itself was still in pristine condition.

Within an hour I realized the phone wasn't going to be returned so I went straight to the nearest AT&T store to see what my options were and thank Gawed I was eligible for an upgrade so instead of paying full price I only had to shell out $199. Because I didn't want to go through this again I purchased Mobil Me as well.

I don't get it, I have found watches, rings. CELL PHONES, wallets, purses, almost everything of any real value and it never crossed my mind to keep something that didn't belong to me.

Rant over, thanks for letting me bend your ear

5. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Unlucky man! Some people just don't share the same morals as us good people! Karma will catch up with them! ;)

6. JusSumguy

JusSumguy Member
    Bronze

I'm pretty sure Jobs is working on a new app for this. It's rumored to have a remote start function.

It's called---> iExplode. ;)

-

7. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

To funny.. thanks for the laugh :eek:k:eek:k

8. JusSumguy

JusSumguy Member
    Bronze

... the app is free, but the "plastic" phone case is a little pricey. :)

-

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I'm sorry to hear this. You have every reason to be upset. I would be devastated if I lost my iPhone. You said you called the guy who found it. Do you know where he lives? Couldn't you track him down and file a report on him? Anyway, it sounds like you moved on and now have a brand new iPhone. It sucks when people don't do the right thing, but as iNinja said Karma will visit them eventually.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Wow! Sorry to hear this. Sorry you had to go through that. That guy is going to pay heavy for this. He thinks he came off with a FREE iPhone.
    I hate stupid, selfish, idiot people like that. He will get his!

Glad you got Mobile Me. This will not happen again. Never again.

12. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

The reason why I know it was a guy who found it was when I realized my phone gone I asked my Dr's receptionist if anyone had turned in a cell phone? She said no but she saw some guy stop his car in the parking lot and pick up something that was yellow and black (the color of my otterbox case) and drive away. Thats when I called my cell phone from the Dr's office and he just let it ring. Between me and my GF we sent the cell phone close to a dozen text messages begging the guy to do the right thing and return the phone but obviously he needed the phone more than I do.

13. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

It boggles my mind that people can be so selfish. I like to think the majority of people would do the right thing and give the lost item to their rightful owners. I had a situation last Fall where my wallet fell to the ground. As I walked a few blocks away a girl came running after me and handed me my wallet. I was so grateful.

It sounds like you lost it in the parking lot then? One of my most useful accessories is a holster that clips to my belt which I use to carry my iPhone. It is always secured that way and leaves my hands free so I no longer need to put my iPhone down anywhere. In your situation an Otterbox case would be too bulky for the holster. I use an incase slider which fits perfectly.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It doesn't boggle my mind at all, unfortunately. The vast majority are going to keep it without making an attempt to find the rightful owner. Sad, but true.

15. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Good choice in getting mobile me that away this won't happen to you again in case it does you will be able to track the phone's very position and call police or go and handle it yourself just make sure you are strapped. lol

16. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

i am heartbroken over this apparent loss (cant find it yet) but if i can find it, what is the best option for using some sort of locate me feature? i hear mobileme is one of them, but are there any apps that one can buy that don't require a subscription for locating a missing iPhone?

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

If you go to iTunes and type in Find my iPhone four Apps come up.

Find my iPhone} Free
    Find my Device} $4.99
    Please find it} $4.99 and
    Device Locator} $4.99

I would try the free one first, but read the reviews to see which you would like.

Hope this helps.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sorry to hear about that. :(

You have to set up MobileMe (or any of the above apps) on the iPhone before the loss. Give AT&T a call and report it lost. If it does turn up, I recommend MobileMe.

19. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I was wondering if it would work by just inputting the phone number on MobileMe. I forgot how I set mine up. I had my phone so I was able to test it.

Like Europa said call AT&T. I hope you can find it.

20. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

Oooo! I feel for you man, hope you find it soon!