lost or stoled iPhone..

brockly

Bronze
Dec 20, 2007
lost or stolen iPhone..

if you did lose your iPhone.. and the person didn't return it ... and they put there simcard in. if you told Apple it was stolen. when they put it on iTunes would Apple help you out ?

just a question

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That's a question for Apple.
But, they would not be able to put a SIM in it, unless it was unlocked. On locked phones, only the SIM that came with it would be the one that would work.
If your phone was stolen, and you know who has it, I would report them to the police, as well as Apple and AT&T.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
but refurbs come without sims and they just switch the old sim into the new phone when you get it replaced. So if that person has an AT&T sim they may be able to.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
To get a new SIM to work, it has to be programmed with your IEMI number. Both Apple and AT&T can do that, but someone just off the street trying to put their sim card in is not going to get it to work. At least not without a whole lot of work.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
not at all.

my phone is unlocked.

if someone was to steal it (hypothetically, of course, but if someone stole it i would track them down and murder them brutally :D)

but if you did steal it and popped your SIM into it, it would work.

I don't know how it is with locked phones, though..

brockly

Bronze
Dec 20, 2007
but they can use it like a ipod... but will Apple tell me who is useing it and whats there ip so i can goto the police? thats the question

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
let me say this again.

THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO USE IT AS A PHONE.

unless you had the IMEI on your computer, called AT&T, and BlackListed it, so that anytime someone connected it with their network (if you bought your phone pre-1.1.2, it might be worth a shot calling T-Mobile also) they would be tracked down and found and (probably) arrested.

$400 - felony in most states.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
but they can use it like a ipod... but will Apple tell me who is useing it and whats there ip so i can goto the police? thats the question
im using mine as an ipod and no one came after me yet
so i don't think Apple knows
(i found mine at someones purse when they werent lookin

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
am I the only one who thinks icafe needs to be slapped across the face with baby powder?

like in how high..

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
If you have an ATT Sim you can jailbreak the phone, bypass activation and use your ATT SIM.

I would not do so with a unlimited data plan of some sort.

Other SIM cards would not work unless the phone is unlocked.

If the phone was stolen, then you might have a case if you filed a police report as I would doubt ATT would black-list an IMEI without proof it was yours and stolen.

If you lost your phone....your loss, my gain. Now I could be a really nice guy and try and return it....but do I really have to if I don't want to?

Feb 12, 2008
used iPhone had prepaid card in it. works fine

i just bought a used iPhone from a guy i know he had a prepaid sim card in it. i put my regular sim card in it and it works fine.i don't think its unlocked. my question is i can use wifi and use the internet fine even though it sais it cant activate edge, if i go to iTunes and say i don't want a data package and i don't use text messaging will there be some type of charge on my bill for data for just useing the wi fi. or does someone know a way i can use iTunes without registering it , the phone has 1.0 firmware which i have never even seen anyone talk about. thanks if you can help

Last edited by a moderator: