Lost (or stolen) iPhone 5...location question

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kurtengelmann, Jun 2, 2014.

1. kurtengelmann

kurtengelmann New Member

I lost my iPhone at the Hertz Rental car drop off in Fort Lauderdale. I could see the phone via "Find my iPhone" app but then it disappeared off my device list. Attached is a screen grab of the last time I saw it. Can anyone tell me based on the image...if it appears to be at the airport? or possibly at the gas station near the airport? Once you see the image it will make sense.
    image.jpg

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm not aware of that area, but it would seem that you're correct. It may have disappeared from your list perhaps because your iPhone died. That's the hopeful thing that happened. We shouldn't think that someone stole it! I would go to where you were or several places where you were, and look around. Also, try to see if it reappears on the list when you use Find My iPhone. Making the sound would be awesome when at those places. :)

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The last known location prior to the phone being shut off or losing power was on South Perimeter Road where the point at the bottom of the circle is (red X on map below).
    q.png

4. kurtengelmann

kurtengelmann New Member

Sorry, can you clarify something for me....wouldn't the fone only be removed from my list of devices if someone had purposely reset it?

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

If someone can get into your phone if there is no password, they can turn off track my iPhone. Or if your iPhone shuts off, it won't be on to track its location.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It will still be listed, but it will show that it is offline if it is powered off. It will no longer show up if Find My iPhone has been disabled. It cannot be disabled without the Apple ID password on iOS 7 or 8. It can be disabled without the Apple ID password on iOS 6 and earlier.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Nice, complete answer.

8. kurtengelmann

kurtengelmann New Member

Ok. I thought as much. I left it in a rental car, tracked it until my flight took off and then it was G-O-N-E. I think its safe to say someone with some expertise got a hold of my fone. It was PW protected and on the most recent iOS. Soo, they found it, somehow disabled it w/o my PW and it disappeared from my device list.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

One can restore the phone by putting it into DFU mode, but to get into the iPhone and disable the Find iPhone setting, they would need the passcode for both.

Have you checked to see if maybe it was turned in anywhere?