Lost push with Yahoo?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

maybear25

Aug 27, 2007
Seattle, WA
Okay, so here's the deal:

I set up a yahoo account specifically for my iPhone (so that my gmail forwarded to this email address) so I can utilize the push capabilities of Yahoo Mail. Things worked wonderfully, in fact there were times my iPhone got my emails before my MacBook did.

Sadly, I was out shopping for a speaker dock and I plugged my iPhone into a JBL On Stage 2 speaker set (which I had read a review on recently with it being compatible with the iPhone) and it fried my iPhone resulting in my needing to get it replaced.

So not thinking anything of it I went to the Apple store, got a new iPhone and set up my new device just as my last one. But then I noticed that I no longer received my emails from Yahoo via push or otherwise. The only way I am able to receive my Yahoo mail is by manually checking for them.

I called Apple iPhone support and they thought that maybe it had something to do with my still having that yahoo mail account activated on the fried phone. So I created a new email account on yahoo and still no luck.

Is there anyone else experiencing an issue with Yahoo mail and iPhone not cooperating? Is this a software issue that will result in me having to return to the Apple store to get fixed?

Any information you guys could throw at me I'd really appreciate.

Thanks! :)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
From most of the posts on this site, it seems like the Yahoo push is hit or miss. Either it works or it doesn't. I'd recommend trying to delete the mail settings from the iPhone and re-creating them. Maybe that might help. I don't use the yahoo push so that's about the best help I can provide.

maybear25

Aug 27, 2007
Seattle, WA
From most of the posts on this site, it seems like the Yahoo push is hit or miss. Either it works or it doesn't. I'd recommend trying to delete the mail settings from the iPhone and re-creating them. Maybe that might help. I don't use the yahoo push so that's about the best help I can provide.
Thanks...I have tried to delete the account from my iPhone and recreating it and I've even created yet another new address just in case it was an issue with that particular one...but still no luck. I have done quite a few searches and have gathered as well that yahoo push is a bit hit or miss...which is kind of sad really...

Does anyone know if the shady-ness of Yahoo push is a result of iPhone being shady or Yahoo?

I just find it strange I guess that it worked fine on one iPhone and not at all on another...

*sigh* slightly frustrated...:(

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The shady-ness is a result of both I think. IIRC the "push" email from yahoo isn't really push, but it sends a text message to your phone that forces a check of the mail client. You never see the text message because the phone understands it. It's kind of a cobbled together system.

I recommend just sticking with GMail with IMAP and set it to check every 5 minutes (you have to edit the .plist file to do it, I can link the post if you can't find it). I do that and the email is close enough to instantaneous.