Loud popping/snapping noise

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2' started by Loquutis, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Is anyone else here hearing a rather loud snapping sort of noise from their iPad Air 2?
    Mine happens at very random times. More so on my first unit and not too much on this second unit ( returned it once already because of this). Google search comes up with it and no one knows if it's software or hardware. Snapping noise comes out of the speaker, and as I said its random. Very strange indeed. Good thing I only paid $800 for this.
    Mind you, come to think of it, I have not heard it since 8.1.3. Maybe it was software?

2. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Guess that's a "no" then?

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Or perhaps a "yes"?

4. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Well this forum is a TON of help

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Sorry you're not getting the answers you need. I was attempting to clarify another poster's reply to you. Being civil here gets you more help than being sarcastic. Perhaps someone else will come along who can address your problem.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sorry for the late reply. I almost replied the other day, but decided to wait and see if anyone else posted a similar experience to yours. I have an iPad mini rather than an Air, but I don't experience this problem. I don't recall any other similar posts. Since it occurred on two of your devices, I'm leaning towards software as the culprit. The problem may have carried over to the replacement iPad through your backup. It also could have just been a rare bug that affected iPads on early versions of 8.x. It sounds like the problem may be resoved now if you haven't expericed it since updating to the latest firmware. If it happens again, do a restore to factory settings and post here again. Also, post details about the apps you were using, the types of files you were playing at the time and the speaker volume.

7. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

I did Google it and it seems there are a number of others with the same issue, or had the same issue. As I say, it seems to be gone now.
    It was so random that I can't even say what I was doing or viewing or using when it happened. It always caught me by surprise and I never thought to remember what I was doing when it happened, I should have.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that the last update put paid to the problem. Other wise, really liking the iPad.

8. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Did it once more today, just as I closed my web browser. Guess the update didn't work.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You restored this iPad from the backup of the old iPad, right? I recommend restoring it to factory settings in iTunes.

10. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Nope. To be sure I restored it as new. So it's not that I grandfathered something over to it. Just another one of those issues that Apple "knows nothing about".
    I will try to find the sites I googled where others are talking about the same issue.

11. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Here is a YouTube video

12. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

15. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

So I've been to see the "Genius" at Apple. Sort of a waste of time in some respect. Of course "we have never heard of this" is the go to response from Apple, even though there are threads devoted to the issue.
    The good thing is, is that it's on record with them if and when I need to do a third exchange down the road. I did not exchange it now because as the "Genius" said, it could be software. I have until December 27 2015 to swap it out should it persist or worsen so I'm not going to go through another afternoon of reloading a third iPad for now.
    We will see...maybe it will just asplode one day before that. But knowing my luck (or lack there of) it will asplode on Dec. 28th!!!!