Love my iPhone, but......

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 18, 2007
I LOVE this thing, but coming from a Blackberry, there are a few things that are driving me NUTS and was wondering if anyone has found a solution. Here is my set-up, which may be some of the problem:

At work I use a windows based computer with Windows XP and Outlook 2003. Outlook calendar and contacts is my life. That being said, we are NOT allowed to install iTunes on our computers. So, I have signed up for Plaxo and have my work computer sync with Plaxo. At home, I have an iMac. I sync Plaxo to my iMac and then sync my phone to the iMac at home and I am able to get my work calendar and contacts on the phone. I was VERY happy when I figured this out!

NOW, here are my issues:

1. Outlook email. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access my outlook email on the phone other than Safari, and its a PITA when traveling, etc. My firm has it set up, basically, so that you cant pop the account. We have OWA - is there an end around way of getting my email on the iPhone? (Oh yeah, they also prohibit us from forwarding our emails to third party email accounts such as yahoo, which I could then get on my iPhone....)

2. Notes. My outlook notes are hugely important to me. Plaxo syncs them from outlook to the Plaxo online account, but will not send them down to my iMac. Any ideas on how to get my notes on the phone? I have read that some people create a contact for the note and put the info in there, but that wont work because I have too many notes and some of them are very long.

3. Why cant I send a text message to an email account? I used to do this all the time. Small issue, but come on.....

4. Why cant I receive picture messages?!?!? This IS an Apple product, right?!?!? When someone sends me a picture, I have to go to a computer, get on the website, enter some code and password, and I get this tiny little picture to look at. Then there is no way to save it to my phone! Thats crap.

Thats all I have for now. I just needed to vent and see what your thoughts were.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I LOVE this thing, but coming from a Blackberry, there are a few things that are driving me NUTS and was wondering if anyone has found a solution. Here is my set-up, which may be some of the problem:

At work I use a windows based computer with Windows XP and Outlook 2003. Outlook calendar and contacts is my life. That being said, we are NOT allowed to install iTunes on our computers. So, I have signed up for Plaxo and have my work computer sync with Plaxo. At home, I have an iMac. I sync Plaxo to my iMac and then sync my phone to the iMac at home and I am able to get my work calendar and contacts on the phone. I was VERY happy when I figured this out!

NOW, here are my issues:

1. Outlook email. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access my outlook email on the phone other than Safari, and its a PITA when traveling, etc. My firm has it set up, basically, so that you cant pop the account. We have OWA - is there an end around way of getting my email on the iPhone? (Oh yeah, they also prohibit us from forwarding our emails to third party email accounts such as yahoo, which I could then get on my iPhone....)
If the admins will not enable IMAP (which most wont) OWA is your only option.

2. Notes. My outlook notes are hugely important to me. Plaxo syncs them from outlook to the Plaxo online account, but will not send them down to my iMac. Any ideas on how to get my notes on the phone? I have read that some people create a contact for the note and put the info in there, but that wont work because I have too many notes and some of them are very long.
I think you are going to be out of luck on this one until Apple makes the iPhone notes function actually have some functionality.

3. Why cant I send a text message to an email account? I used to do this all the time. Small issue, but come on.....
Since your iPhone is an email device why would you need this? Send and email to the email account.

4. Why cant I receive picture messages?!?!? This IS an Apple product, right?!?!? When someone sends me a picture, I have to go to a computer, get on the website, enter some code and password, and I get this tiny little picture to look at. Then there is no way to save it to my phone! Thats crap.
Have the person sending you the MMS (multimedia message) send it to you iPhone's email address xxx-xxx-xxxx@mms.att.net. This way the pic will show up right on your iPhone screen.

Thats all I have for now. I just needed to vent and see what your thoughts were.

Sep 18, 2007
1. I figured as much. Damn them...... :(

2. I am hoping with the new Leopard, this will be fixed and useable.

3. I just noticed you couldnt, is all. No biggie really.

4. OK - this one is new to me. Do I need to set up my iPhone email address somehow or is it automatic? I sent myself a test email there, but haven't gotten anything on my phone. Also, for this to really be beneficial, I need to let all of my friends know to send it there instead. And if that IS the case, why don't they just send me a regular email? Also, and this is the kicker - what if they are using a non email enabled phone that just sends MMS? Then I still have to do this stupid website thing.

For as great as the iPhone is, it doesn't do a lot of stuff that I think it should and that would be obvious. Maybe its more of an AT&T limitation that anything.

Naylor07

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
I came from a blackberry curve and I miss a lot of the features of it, but I didn't like surfing the net and listening to music on the blackberry and the iPhone works much better for that.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
<<Have the person sending you the MMS (multimedia message) send it to you iPhone's email address xxx-xxx-xxxx@mms.att.net. This way the pic will show up right on your iPhone screen.>>

This is new to me to. How do you set this up?