Loving my new Weather Lockscreen theme, but...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hello all. I stumbled onto this weather theme over at Macthemes2.net. Its called Weather HD Elements. This is a nice weather utility if you don't care about getting email, SMS, phone or Cal info like the other lock screen utilities give you.
Find the author's thread here...
http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16793347

Personally, I only wanted a weather lock screen. So I tried this one out and Im loving it. Screenie...

However, I lost the date under my clock. I did the clock hide mod when I first downloaded the Multilockbar theme. I kept the original ttf file and tried throwing that back in. It worked to get me my time, but not the date. I also downloaded the font shown in the screen shots but again... no date. I think I need to change something in a plist or js file but I forget. Any ideas?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Did you use the en.plist file to hide the date? If so, just delete it and reboot.

This is the method I always used to hide the date;
Place the en.plist file in System > Library > Frameworks > UIKit.framework > DateFormats
Reboot.
Deleting the file and rebooting will make it reappear.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jikkls

Also, using a blank lockclock font in FontSwap is a little faster for hiding the Time.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Did you use the en.plist file to hide the date? If so, just delete it and reboot.

This is the method I always used to hide the date;
Place the en.plist file in System > Library > Frameworks > UIKit.framework > DateFormats
Reboot.
Deleting the file and rebooting will make it reappear.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jikkls

Also, using a blank lockclock font in FontSwap is a little faster for hiding the Time.

AH HA! I knew it was something like that! I did in fact use the en.plist file! Ill remove it now. Thanks Europa!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
The author updated the background, me likey!

I still would love to find a weather lockscreen that gives me an hourly forecast instead of the week. But I can live without it I guess.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
The author updated the background, me likey!

I still would love to find a weather lockscreen that gives me an hourly forecast instead of the week. But I can live without it I guess.
If you've scripted with JS then i'm sure you could do it. That's pretty much all it is.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
If you've scripted with JS then i'm sure you could do it. That's pretty much all it is.
I have done some... but I think its more of a limitation of Accuweather than the js. Im still working on it though. I love messing with this crap!

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I have done some... but I think its more of a limitation of Accuweather than the js. Im still working on it though. I love messing with this crap!
I was reading the Macthemes forum thread and noticed it was Accuweather was used for the theme. I think you're right about the limitations. Now if were feed from let's say weather.com, then maybe it would work

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I was reading the Macthemes forum thread and noticed it was Accuweather was used for the theme. I think you're right about the limitations. Now if were feed from let's say weather.com, then maybe it would work
That could be a weekend project for me. I haven't seen many weather utilities that run off of weather.com. Most are yahoo, Apple or accu.

Id also like to tweak it to use location services to detect your local weather so you don't need to change the js file. This would also be cool if you are on a trip, it would pull the local weather for you automatically.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
That could be a weekend project for me. I haven't seen many weather utilities that run off of weather.com. Most are yahoo, Apple or accu.

Id also like to tweak it to use location services to detect your local weather so you don't need to change the js file. This would also be cool if you are on a trip, it would pull the local weather for you automatically.
Now that would be really cool to have location services update the lockscreen weather to where you are. I did see another js file in another folder that had the accuweather script from Apple. I did open and skim through it. I think u could possibly modify that file to do hourly updates.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Now that would be really cool to have location services update the lockscreen weather to where you are. I did see another js file in another folder that had the accuweather script from Apple. I did open and skim through it. I think u could possibly modify that file to do hourly updates.
Ill have to check that out. Thanks for spotting it cliffeman!

One thing I don't like about this theme is that sometimes the background doesn't match the time of day. Its just a problem at night and in the morning. For example, 7am this morning was sunny however my wallpaper was still the moon. Last night at 10pm I still had a sun.

Another improvement I thought of would be to have 4 wallpaper background, one for morning which would look like dawn, then a sunny one, a dusk one and night time. These would change, you guessed it, based on the time of day.

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
Hello all. I stumbled onto this weather theme over at Macthemes2.net. Its called Weather HD Elements. This is a nice weather utility if you don't care about getting email, SMS, phone or Cal info like the other lock screen utilities give you.
Personally, I only wanted a weather lock screen. So I tried this one out and Im loving it. Screenie...

However, I lost the date under my clock. I did the clock hide mod when I first downloaded the Multilockbar theme. I kept the original ttf file and tried throwing that back in. It worked to get me my time, but not the date. I also downloaded the font shown in the screen shots but again... no date. I think I need to change something in a plist or js file but I forget. Any ideas?

I downloaded this i have SSH setup now what folder does this go in?

Thanks Scott

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I downloaded this i have SSH setup now what folder does this go in?

Thanks Scott
Well, there is a step you should take prior to SSHing this to your iPhone. You need to change the location in the configureMe.js file. The file is located in the Private folder within the Weather Elements folder. Open the file and change this portion of your code to your zipcode...

You can also change things here to display Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.

Ok, once that is changed to your location, SSH the entire Weather Elements folder to this location...

/var/stash/Themes/ - This is the location to download any theme you may want to run on your phone. Not just Lockscreen themes.

Weather Elements should now show up in Winterboard under themes. Select it in Winterboard, respring and poof... golden.

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
I already changed the zip code, I will check the others and i'm trying it right now. did I see somewhere in one of you post about the clock font?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I already changed the zip code, I will check the others and i'm trying it right now. did I see somewhere in one of you post about the clock font?
Yeah, you have to change the Lockclock font to hide it so it doesn't look weird in front of the lockscreen weather. You also have to hide the date.

2 steps to do this...

SSH into this folder...
/System/Library/Fonts/Cache and locate the LockClock.ttf file. Copy this file somewhere safe. Then download the attached ttf file and put it in the directory above.

Then download the attached en.plst file and put it here...
/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/DateFormats

Then when you respring it should have no time and date in the middle of the screen.

Attachments

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
I'm going to have to wait for lunch no wifi in the office for the SSH :-(

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
i just notice your in Algonquin i'm in Batavia and work next to Ohare

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
iPhonebrowser is your best friend in this case :eek:k:eek:k DiskAid is too but it's only a 14 day trial.

OK im listen. how do i make that work?

oohhh i see diskaid instead of SSH

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona