Low Battery Indicator

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
This thing is just about completely worthless. I'm sitting at my desk, low battery 20% comes on. I plug the phone into my computer, not even 2 minutes later (literally), low battery 15%.

So, somehow the battery life went down 5% in less than 2 minutes, while it was charging, great. It's done this before too. I'll get the 15% indicator about a minute after the 20% indicator, which is obviously not a accurate gauge. That's 5% a minute, meaning the entire battery would only last 20 minutes. Why did they even include a low battery indicator if it's going to be this inaccurate?

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
This thing is just about completely worthless. I'm sitting at my desk, low battery 20% comes on. I plug the phone into my computer, not even 2 minutes later (literally), low battery 15%.

So, somehow the battery life went down 5% in less than 2 minutes, while it was charging, great. It's done this before too. I'll get the 15% indicator about a minute after the 20% indicator, which is obviously not a accurate gauge. That's 5% a minute, meaning the entire battery would only last 20 minutes. Why did they even include a low battery indicator if it's going to be this inaccurate?
IIRC somebody on here said that if you do a restore the battery meter will become more accurate. Mine used to do it as well, but I had to restore for some odd reason that i forget to remember and the battery indicator works fine. I don't know if thats what fixed mine or it just fixed itself. Good luck.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007

I have the same problem. It’s good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Veedubcos suggests doing a restore which is what I've been hearing all around the post here. I haven’t done it yet just because I've been lazy.:laugh2: But I do plan to do it soon. Please let me know if this trick works for you. Thanks

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I had almost the same experience only I wasn't plugged into the computer. I was on the phone and then got the 20% left indicator and I hit ignore. Then in the middle of typing out the text that I was sending, the 15% indicator came on. It was literally only about 90 seconds later. I've noticed that once you hit 20% battery left, the battery life just nosedives.

I have hit the 10% mark and placed the phone on standby and went to sleep for the night. In the morning the phone is still functioning and I can even use it a short while again without it shutting off. I didn't even do a restore till I messed up the icons while modding the phone. My battery life was just as good after that first restore as it was after.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I have hit the 10% mark and placed the phone on standby and went to sleep for the night. In the morning the phone is still functioning and I can even use it a short while again without it shutting off. I didn't even do a restore till I messed up the icons while modding the phone. My battery life was just as good after that first restore as it was after.
It drops down dramatically from 20 to 10 if you are currently using it. I don’t think that putting it on sleep while at 20 will be a good way to judge the battery life because I have done the very same thing and it does hold up till the morning after. That is why this problem is a little bit of a mystery to me.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Have you tried a full restore? That should certainly help you out. Mine is great and I even have it modded to look like Duracell! It needs the restore, though...
Nice. Do you have any pics that you can post? I would like to see that please. Thanks.

vanslam

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I had a similar issue. I shut down WiFi and the phone finally charged faster than it was discharing with the wall charger. I get better results with my MAC usb charing.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I had a similar issue. I shut down WiFi and the phone finally charged faster than it was discharing with the wall charger. I get better results with my MAC usb charing.
When I use my usb it just seems to take longer to charge than that of a wall charger. Is it the same for you as well? By the way I turn my airplane mode on when I charge. Don’t know if it actually makes the charging faster but I do get the glowing charge when I do this.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Have you tried a full restore? That should certainly help you out. Mine is great and I even have it modded to look like Duracell! It needs the restore, though...
Um you mean deleting everything from my phone, and having to put everything back on it...no thanks. I'm not going to restore my phone once a week to fix all the bugs that Apple should be fixing for me with an update that will most likely never come. I'll probably just sell the damn thing if it isn't here by mid august.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

Mine ran down fast when I first got it, but two nights ago, when I was down to 20% while using Safari, I was able to surf continuously for another hour before the phone shut down and told me to feed it.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Um you mean deleting everything from my phone, and having to put everything back on it...no thanks. I'm not going to restore my phone once a week to fix all the bugs that Apple should be fixing for me with an update that will most likely never come. I'll probably just sell the damn thing if it isn't here by mid august.
nobody said anything about restoring once a week. Since i learned of thos information ive only done one restore. You asked for help. You got it. Don't kill the messenger. Have you seen the thread about imoaners?