Low call volume on 1.1.1 iPhone Question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 20, 2007
I just recently purchased my iPhone and the first thing I did was use iTunes to upgrade to 1.1.2. After doing so, I made my first phone call and the speaker volume was/is so low that I can barely hear the other person. I never made a call before I upgraded so I'm not sure if it was the upgrade or not. Does anyone know what may have caused this or what my next step should be? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would first make sure that the volume is turned up. Call someone and use the side controls to push the volume all the way up. I doubt it is the 1.1.2 firmware however. I would try calling several people and if the problem persists then I would recommend taking it to Apple and having them take a look at it.

Nov 20, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. I have turned the volume all the way up during a call, so I know that can't be it. I've only talked to a couple of people, so I'll try a few more. If that doesn't work, then I'll probable send it back. Thanks again.

A quick question: Is it possible to downgrade back to 1.1.1 and activating it without jailbreaking it? I highly doubt it, but if a phone is jailbroken, will Apple accept it?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Here are the directions to downgrade from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1.
These are courtesy of Enigmanic.

Here's my step-by-step guide to downgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 using Windows. Please note that this is just a temporary solution, so that you can install the Oktoprep app and upgrade back to 1.1.2. (Big thanks to faseone for confirming that it works!). Also, this downgrade method will not work with UK phones.

Before you begin, you'll need to download the following:
Firmware 1.1.1
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....a_Restore.ipsw

iBrickr
http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr

Instructions for Windows

Step 1. Dock iPhone and plug into computer.

Step 2. Start up iTunes

Step 3. While holding down the shift key, hit restore. You'll get a prompt box. Choose the 1.1.1 firmware that you've just downloaded.

Step 4. Wait for the phone to downgrade. You will receive an error at the end and the phone will get stuck in restore mode. This is typical. Just exit iTunes.

Step 5. Start up iBrickr. Choose "Boot up Phone". This will kick your phone out of restore mode. After the process is finished, iTunes will start up again automatically.

Step 6. Restore your phone from a previous backup. After it's done, you won't be able to make any phone calls (since the baseband has been changed), but you will be able to use wifi. Using wifi, visit jailbreakme.com to jailbreak your phone.

Step 7. After you've jailbroken 1.1.1, follow the jailbreak guide in my first post to install oktoprep and upgrade to 1.1.2:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com...tml#post139662

Note: I'm sure the process is almost identical for a Mac Intel, except you hit option+restore in step 3, and would use Independence (instead of iBrickr) to break out of restore mode. Can someone confirm?

And here is a link to the actual thread I got that from:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/jailbreak-software-for-1-1-2-released-by-dev-team.14862/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Thanks for the info, but the reason I asked about downgrading to 1.1.1 without jailbreaking and activating the phone is because I couldn't call other people to test the speaker on 1.1.1 because it would not be activated, and I don't want to jailbreak it in order to reactivate it because then I wouldn't be able to return it because it would have been jailbroken. Hope that makes sense.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah I understand what you are saying. If you end up messing the iPhone up, then all you have to do is plug it back into iTunes and restore it again and there isn't going to be any evidence that you jailbroke it at all.

Nov 20, 2007
Oh, ok, I wasn't aware that the restore function in iTunes erases any evidence of jailbreaking. I greatly appreciate your help on this issue of mine :laugh2:

Nov 20, 2007
I just followed the guide you posted and when I go to click on the windows.bat file, the c:\ window pops up for a second, then closes. I don't get an error or anything. Any idea what may be causing this?

Nov 20, 2007
No I have not taken off the plastic cover cause i'm using it as a screen protector until I get an actual screen protector. I didn't even think of that because I wouldn't have thought the plastic would block the sound that much.

Edit: Well, what do you know, I can hear clearly now the film is gone :) Thanks for the obviously simple answer to my problem.