Low cost iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liberated, May 7, 2013.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Unless AT&T stops subsidizing iPhones I can't see myself getting a low cost iPhone if I am sacrificing screen resolution, camera quality, or speed. I like the premium feel of the iPhone as well so I wouldn't be overly pleased with a cheaper feel.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think the odds that we will see a new "cheap/low-cost" model are as low as the iPhone 5S having a screen that wraps all the way around the phone. It's ridiculous and makes no sense from a support standpoint. Apple isn't going to skimp and make a flimsy product that they have to support for several years.

So then what's left to cut corners to save the customer money? Obsolete specs - and they already have that. The iPhone 4 is the cheap iPhone. Apple doesn't need to create a new model to fill demand here since they already have existing stock of older models. They give the iPhone 4 away for free with contract now. They'll likely just continue to offer the two-year-old phones for free. Where they aren't sold with contract, they are sold for much less than the newer models because they are outdated and not as valuable.

4. maplelegend

maplelegend Member
    Bronze

I don't know much about phone expertise, but as a customer I always believe you get what you pay for.
    The lower cost, the less quality.Maybe.

5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

If you don't need all the latest bells and whistles, the iPhone 4 or 4s is still a great phone, will probably enjoy updates and support for a couple years yet and is really cheap or free with a 2 year contract.

Sent from my iPad3

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I disagree, the iPhone 4 and 4S are becoming obsolete fast! The cheaper iPhone alternatives (if the rumors are true) may sport new faster processors capable of handling Apple's upcoming OS.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think the word "obsolete" is thrown around almost as much and inaccurately as "OCD." Those phones aren't obsolete; they work just fine for a lot of people. Sure, they may not be as fast as current iPhones, but either one of them would run all the apps I have installed. The only problem I see is firmware compatibility with newer apps. Other than that, though, I don't see those phones being any more "obsolete" than, say, a 2008 Nissan Maxima.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Ok naps, surely not obsolete but certainly no on par with newer hardware coming out. For example, there is a noticeable difference between the 3GS and a 4S and they are not that far apart, but in tech years, they are light years apart.

9. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

Of course they aren't on par with the new iPhone 5. Neither would be a cheaper iPhone if Apple chose to make one. I like the current model that Apple has going. I don't think they need to make a separate device to be the "cheap" iPhone.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet. My smokin hot iPhone 5.

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

They would not be on par with the new iPhone but they most certainly be better than an iPhone 4 or 4S.

11. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

What would that look like? Because the 4S isn't that far from the iPhone 5.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet. My smokin hot iPhone 5.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

If I had to speculate I'd say the cheaper iPhones would be comparable to today's iPhone 5 (same CPU) with the next gen flagship iPhone having a faster processor, more ram and more storage.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They'll look exactly like the 4 and 4S because the will be the 4 and 4S. And in two years they'll look just like the 5.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

That's the current strategy now Europa, I'm just speculating assuming the new rumors are true.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Assuming they are false is more logical.

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Europa, at this point I am speculating on the story as reported. Whether I believe this story is true or not was never part of my argument, thereforee ...... (See pic) :D
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1368367377.043886.jpg

17. Nikhil Gorwani

Bronze

Apple is targeting a wider customer base in other countries as well . Instead of just having iPhone 4 or 4S as an as a low budget option, people could get a better deal and do more with the new low cost iPhones.

18. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I don't believe Apple will do this. That would be like Ferrari making a $20,000 sports car for the poorer folks.

Sent using iCafe app

19. nujsimon

nujsimon New Member

Maybe Apple will rebrand these low cost phones as sour Apples :)

Sent using iCafe app