Low disk space? Still have 7GBs free?

Nov 24, 2007
hi, i've been installing a lot of apps lately & after a well it says i have low disk space, why is this ? i still have 6.5gigs free.... anyways i went to "hack that iPhone tools" in Installer & Installed "fix disk space" version 1.1 BAD IDEA now i can't install/uninstall anything... anyways i just restored & jailbroke again... now i'm at the beginning again... i got a couple questions

why is it saying i'm runing low on space, when i have 6 GB free?
should i just ignore it?
am i really runing low on space?
what the hell?
is there another version of this fix that works on 1.1.3?
do i really need to install this fix to continue installing apps ?

please help, i'm about to snap this is my 3rd restore & jailbrake in 3 days. thank god its so easy & fast.. or this would be hell !

Nov 24, 2007
The phone is separated into two different partitions for software on the internal drive. There is a music partition that is very large and there is an operating system partition that is very small. When the phone was designed it was not intended to store additional software on the OS partition. When a phone is jailbroken it opens the drive to installing new software. By default it saves the aftermarket software into the OS partition and after you have installed some large programs you will get a message that your running out of disk space even though you have a lot of room remaining. That means your running out of room in the OS partition.
The "fix" that is out there (several actually) will move your programs to the music partition and then create a link to the os partition. When you then install software it will think it is putting it in the os partition when it is actually saving it to the music side of the drive and you can then install basically 7 gigs or more of software before you start to run out of room.

As far as the instructions in the posting right above your first question, I have a program on my phone called Term-vt100. It is just a terminal emulator that allows commands to be typed on the phone in a "dos" like environment. The commands listed change the permissions and owner of the installer program back to the ones that they should be set to. In my case I installed a piece of software that changed the ownership of those and made it so they wouldn't launch. Typing those two command lines in the terminal changed those settings back.

i justed restored & jailbroke again...do u know of one of theses fixs that works with 1.1.3, so i wouldn't have to do all that?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have never used bosstool so can't answer that but I am glad at least it worked for you. I don't see why it would go away unless it is set to do that so that you don't accidentally try to move the files after they have already moved. That could corrupt the phone.

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
is it supose to hide the icon after use?
I used BossTool to move fonts (creates plenty of room) and my icon was still there afterwards. Did you move fonts, ringtones, AND applications? I highly suggest that you not move Applications. Fonts and Ringtones will provide PLENTY of room.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
That depends on how many applications you install. I have 5 pages of apps on my phone and even if all the fonts and ringtones were moved I would still have run out of room about a page and a half ago.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I think I read somewhere that the OS partition is only 65 Megs total. Some of the better software is 2-5 Megs each and that doesn't give you much room even without ringtones and fonts.

Nov 24, 2007
i just moved a app(only had 1 at the time had just restored). then went and installed a bounch of source apps, when it restarted after the installs there was no bosstool

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I haven't used the program but the steps that it takes to relocate your applications are a one time thing. Once they run the program isn't needed to keep the change in place so it is probably safe to uninstall and reinstall but as I said, I have never done it so am not 100% positive. I would see if you can get hold of Tinman on here and get his thoughts on it. He is usually pretty knowledgeable on the different software and what exactly it does. If he says it is okay then I would trust his opinion. If it were my phone I would just risk it and uninstall and reinstall it.

Nov 24, 2007
I haven't used the program but the steps that it takes to relocate your applications are a one time thing. Once they run the program isn't needed to keep the change in place so it is probably safe to uninstall and reinstall but as I said, I have never done it so am not 100% positive. I would see if you can get hold of Tinman on here and get his thoughts on it. He is usually pretty knowledgeable on the different software and what exactly it does. If he says it is okay then I would trust his opinion. If it were my phone I would just risk it and uninstall and reinstall it.
ya thats worked

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, the problem with BossTool is that there is no "undo" to the moving its doing.

You could "undo" the moves and symlinking through an FTP connection, but you'd have to know where to look. If you're experiencing problems after using BossTool make sure you have BSD Subsystem installed, it may be looking for executables you don't have, and thusly not doing it's job correctly.

Nov 24, 2007
can i only use bosstools 1 time to move apps? i just moved fonts, it worked fine. i have 102MB free out of 300MB now..(had 18MB) i try to relocate apps and nothing happens.. i only have stock ringtones so i guess i shouldn't relocate them ? also it says "fonts already moved" still says "relocate ringtones" & "relocate apps"