Low Volume

phatty

Aug 26, 2009
I've looked through the archives and found similar questions but not exactly the same as my problem. I have the 3G and the volume on phone calls, the ringer, reminders, etc. seems fine. But the volume on my iPod is super low. I have the volume in settings all the way up and then the volume on my iPod all the way up also, and it's still hard for me to hear if it's not completely quiet outside. I work in the city and normal city traffic basically drowns out my volume at full blast. Anyone else having this problem? I'm still using the Apple headphones that came with it, could that be the problem? I know noise canceling headphones would help, but was just wondering if there's anything else I could do.

phatty

Aug 26, 2009
Yeah, this has been an ongoing thing for a few weeks. It seems to be getting worse though.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Have you tried alternative headphone/earphone's..?

Your problem may be that your current one's are defective. The standard earphones aren't that good anyway for volume. Try others and see how you get on.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Try this, and yes, it seems stupid, but I just went through this.
open up your voicemail and start playing one of the messages. While it's playing, turn on the speaker and turn the volume all the way up.
Next go into settings and under the iPod settings, make sure that everything is OFF. (especially sound check).
Test and see if that made a difference. The only reason I suggest it is because I have had a similar problem, and normally my phone is LOUD. The only thing I used before hand was the voicemail over speaker, and it was a loud message, so I turned the volume down. Apparently, it's tied into the iPod's volume function, and even if the iPod is turned all the way up, if the volume for voicemail is down, so is your music volume.
Think of it as a secondary volume control - although it should NEVER work that way.

phatty

Aug 26, 2009
Thanks. I tried that and in doing so noticed there there is a 3rd volume setting which controls the ringer and also the headphone volume. I feel like it's a little better now but seems I still have all 3 settings cranked up to the max and it's not very loud.

Jun 30, 2009
Try this, and yes, it seems stupid, but I just went through this.
open up your voicemail and start playing one of the messages. While it's playing, turn on the speaker and turn the volume all the way up.
Next go into settings and under the iPod settings, make sure that everything is OFF. (especially sound check).
Test and see if that made a difference. The only reason I suggest it is because I have had a similar problem, and normally my phone is LOUD. The only thing I used before hand was the voicemail over speaker, and it was a loud message, so I turned the volume down. Apparently, it's tied into the iPod's volume function, and even if the iPod is turned all the way up, if the volume for voicemail is down, so is your music volume.
Think of it as a secondary volume control - although it should NEVER work that way.
I am also facing volume problem from a few days. Followed the ways you described. Little bit improvement done. But the problem remains still.