Lucky to be living in this age

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hey
I was just watching some videos of CES 2008 on GearLive with my dad and after all the technology, my dad told me that I was really lucky to be living in this age and witnessing this speedy advance of technology. After a bit of thought, I realized how lucky I really was; I mean, im only a kid, so I can say that I grew up as computers all began introducing touch technology and all that. I was alive to see a millennium, and now all this 'upgrade' of technology really makes me feel lucky and thankful that I am alive at the moment.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts and let you all speculate about the matter.

Thanks,
Aran

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Hey
I was just watching some videos of CES 2008 on GearLive with my dad and after all the technology, my dad told me that I was really lucky to be living in this age and witnessing this speedy advance of technology. After a bit of thought, I realized how lucky I really was; I mean, im only a kid, so I can say that I grew up as computers all began introducing touch technology and all that. I was alive to see a millennium, and now all this 'upgrade' of technology really makes me feel lucky and thankful that I am alive at the moment.

Thanks,
Aran

Think about the people that are a 100 years old, think what they have seen!

Radio, TV, airplanes etc...........

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
My Grandmother (still alive) is 103 this year. We took her to see the Ringling Brothers Circus many years ago and she commented that she hasn't seen any riders as good as Bill was. She was talking about Buffalo Bill Cody who she saw when she was a young child. I can't even imagine living in an age where Wyatt Earp was still alive. My Father worked on computers when I was a child (not to age myself) but he used a crane to load 10Meg Hard drive plattens into a computer the size of most living rooms. Just like on StarTrek, the computers really did have a bunch of blinking lights that didn't seem to do anything. I am glad I can carry my computers in my pocket rather than renting a semi truck to carry my calculator.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I wouldn't mind living during Rome and Greece's prime, or the Wild West. I love what technology has brought us, but in all honesty this technological consumerism has the tendency to dampen the action of "living life" to a more solitary and smaller experience.

I want to "live" more of my life, but the luxuries afforded to me by technology through "convenience" have made me a lonely king sitting in his throne in wonderment as to whats going on outside the castle walls.

Sure I can find out by looking at a webcam on my iPhone, but I'm not down there with the people truly living it!

xsbx

Bronze
Jan 5, 2008
yes I love it too, but if I were to live during a different time period I'd want it to be the renaissance. Learn how to use a sword and ride a horsey traveling to different villages trading items. Man that'd be cool.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I wouldn't mind living during Rome and Greece's prime, or the Wild West. I love what technology has brought us, but in all honesty this technological consumerism has the tendency to dampen the action of "living life" to a more solitary and smaller experience.

I want to "live" more of my life, but the luxuries afforded to me by technology through "convenience" have made me a lonely king sitting in his throne in wonderment as to whats going on outside the castle walls.

Sure I can find out by looking at a webcam on my iPhone, but I'm not down there with the people truly living it!
lol no disrespect but, if you feel so strongly that you're not 'out there in the action', then why don't you go 'out there'? Kind of simple...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
lol no disrespect but, if you feel so strongly that you're not 'out there in the action', then why don't you go 'out there'? Kind of simple...
For the same reasons smokers have a hard time quitting, conditioning.

Are you a psychology student? You should know this stuff!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
As soon as they design medieval armor with built in wifi and internet access (unlimited of course, oh and a time machine) then I would consider living in that age. I have become pretty dependent on my electronics and although I would probably be a lot healtheir in that age (except when your head gets lobbed off by some neighbor in a land dispute), I think I will stick with my current life with my iPhone close at hand.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

I have to say the same. Nicely worded.

- John

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
so true. In still a kid and the technology that we have today is crazy. I can only image what'll be here in a few more years.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
lol no im not. I use this username for everything, I don't know why lol But I'm planning on takin phsycology for A level
It's actually a really fun class, I would totally recommend it to you if you're interested.

It's also a popular class with the ladies ;) I made quite a few friends during that semester :D

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hey

Thanks,
Aran
A thankful kid... What a remarkable oddity. Your parents are lucky.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While I love living in the present, with the technology progressing at seemingly unstoppable speeds, I can't help but yearn to have lived in another time. My favorite period in history would have to be Colonial/Early America. The formulation of the Declaration of Independence, the Revolutionary War and so many other amazing feats and accomplishments in human achievement make it one of the most intriguing time periods ever. I'm a bit of a history buff, so it makes sense.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
While I love living in the present, with the technology progressing at seemingly unstoppable speeds, I can't help but yearn to have lived in another time. My favorite period in history would have to be Colonial/Early America. The formulation of the Declaration of Independence, the Revolutionary War and so many other amazing feats and accomplishments in human achievement make it one of the most intriguing time periods ever. I'm a bit of a history buff, so it makes sense.
That makes three of us!

You, Macman and myself need to put up some capital to build a Time Machine.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
In years to come we will be telling our Grandchildren how we waited in line on iDay for the first iPhone. I can almost hear them laughing now. "You waited in line for one of those?"

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
I'm always called a technotard by my friends, however, these people are rarely around when I want someone to go camping with. I'll shed all gadgets (minus my emergency GPS) for a week long hike in the woods any time I can. I live in NYC now, but grew up in the Catskills, still "pine" for the mountain air.

originally Posted by x999x

I work with substance abusers... on the surface its conditioning, however, it all comes down to fear

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I'm always called a technotard by my friends, however, these people are rarely around when I want someone to go camping with. I'll shed all gadgets (minus my emergency GPS) for a week long hike in the woods any time I can. I live in NYC now, but grew up in the Catskills, still "pine" for the mountain air.

originally Posted by x999x

I work with substance abusers... on the surface its conditioning, however, it all comes down to fear
Looking at your avatar... In 1992 I hiked the entire Appalachain Trail from GA to ME. Took me just under 6 months.... Your boots remind me of that time in my life.... You know, I replaced the soles on those boots 6 times during that hike.... I long to sleep outside with Mother Earth again...

Reminds me of a TV show on National Geographic Chanel called Sunrise Earth. Have you seen this program? Nothing short of amazing...