Lucky to be living in this age

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
In years to come we will be telling our Grandchildren how we waited in line on iDay for the first iPhone. I can almost hear them laughing now. "You waited in line for one of those?"
That is funny. I went over to my Mother-In-Laws house the other day and she still has one of the original cell phones. Big block of plastic about 8" long, weighing about 2 pounds with a rigid antenna making the whole thing about a foot long. She was grandfathered on her contract and only pays $4 a month for service so doesn't want to upgrade to a phone made this century. I suspect our grandchildren will be talking about us carrying around phones in holsters or in our pockets like they were some antique contraption. "Grandpa used to have to carry his phone in his hand and to talk he had to actually put it up to his ear. HA HA, that must have sucked"

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
That is funny. I went over to my Mother-In-Laws house the other day and she still has one of the original cell phones. Big block of plastic about 8" long, weighing about 2 pounds with a rigid antenna making the whole thing about a foot long. She was grandfathered on her contract and only pays $4 a month for service so doesn't want to upgrade to a phone made this century. I suspect our grandchildren will be talking about us carrying around phones in holsters or in our pockets like they were some antique contraption. "Grandpa used to have to carry his phone in his hand and to talk he had to actually put it up to his ear. HA HA, that must have sucked"
That would be the Motarola, I had one 20 years ago, it cost $1500, for its day it was really a fabulous phone.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
And TV's in 2009
Interesting article about that. Apparently only the large providers are required to stop transmitting TV in Analog and the smaller providers are not being held to that deadline so anyone that gets a digital converter box yet is in a small provider area will get nothing. Won't that be nice.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22558672/

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
In years to come we will be telling our Grandchildren how we waited in line on iDay for the first iPhone. I can almost hear them laughing now. "You waited in line for one of those?"
lol yeh I'm proud to say that I was there, queing with my dad (even though I wasn't getting the phone then), and also that I was one of the few millions (or whatever) to get a t-shirt on the day that leopard was released :D I'm sure I'll still have it in 20 years :cool:

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
Looking at your avatar... In 1992 I hiked the entire Appalachain Trail from GA to ME. Took me just under 6 months.... Your boots remind me of that time in my life.... You know, I replaced the soles on those boots 6 times during that hike.... I long to sleep outside with Mother Earth again...

Reminds me of a TV show on National Geographic Chanel called Sunrise Earth. Have you seen this program? Nothing short of amazing...
Never saw the show. I have been doing the AT in sections, as I can't take a long period of time off right now. I'd love to through-hike the whole thing.
I have my iPhone with me, however it stays wrapped in a bandana in a ziplock to stay safe and dry. No service in the mountains anyway.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
you're in NY... Let's see, I remember Bear Mountain... I could be wrong...Is that right?

Good luck in your quest to hike... Research that show sunrise earth... Its a full hour of the sunrise somewhere on our planet. They set up a couple of cameras and leave. Just the sounds of Mother Earth awakening.... Superduper cool!

GA ---------->ME '92