Mac 1.1.3 Jailbreak released.

listenclose

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Is there a walk through for downgrading 1.1.3?

romiy2k

Oct 18, 2007

is there any news on unlocked iPhone updates? i have an unlocked 1.1.2 running i would like to upgrade but will it lock my phone again? or can the jailbreak somehow help me? thanks in advance

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i read one post here that said there are many reports of successful upgrades at modmyiPhone.com.

this is third-hand info, but it wouldn't hurt to take a peek over there.

chaunce

Oct 22, 2007
Jailbreaking my 1.1.2 version iPhone with a Mac

Despite my small number of posts, I've been an iPhone owner since day 2. I'm just more of a reader/lurker, what ever you'd like to call it. But I do my research and generally don't have more to add than say Tin Man. But given the heat around the 1.1.3 jailbreak, I figured I'd add my experience.
Stats:
iPhone version is 1.1.2
Mac is Intel Imac

1. Was reading about the fact there was no mac jailbreak available. Went to Nate True's blog and voila - a mac version. It's not GUI (it's in terminal), but it's automated. You just have to follow the on-screen instructions and hit enter when it say to hit enter. Took 10 minutes or less. This part of the process puts the 1.1.3 image on your iPhone without modifying it. I suppose if you stopped here, you'd still have your modded 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 phone. Until you actually install the 1.1.3 image, your phone is only "prepped."
2. Went to installer and installed the 1.1.3 package. This took about 10 or 15 minutes. When it completed, it rebooted my phone and I had a 1.1.3 phone with installer on my home screen.

Things I learned that may be helpful to others (b/c while I'm a geek at heart, I'm not really a techie!):

1. Installer still shows all my apps installed (if you go to uninstall they're there, but you cant see them on the desktop), but they exist in different directories. So the first thing you need to do is reinstall BSD Subsystem (again, not telling you anything new, but giving you a blow by blow).
2. Prior to doing this, I had extended preferences installed on my iPhone (successfuly I might add), but was sort of waiting for the other shoe to fall. I'm telling you this because I'm going through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling my apps 1 by 1. There may be an easier way to do this, but I'd rather do it this way.
3. If you use applications such as lockbox or NES (there's a new version of this by the way for 1.1.3 and above on the nesapp site, uninstalling them and then reinstalling them will bring your data back as well, because the drive was not wiped with the jailbreak.
4. Applications have worked for the most part. I'm having trouble with SyncJe and I have not tried Customize (I was a heavy user) or Categories (again, successfuly despite the number of issues) nor do I plan to at this point until I have some confirmation that they work (I've been enough of a guinea pig!).
5. As for Google Maps and Locate me, an interesting observation. It didn't work at first. So I loaded Navizon (I use this because I paid. Paid version is very accurate). I had it locate me and for fun, clicked directions and locate me on Google maps now works. I'm not sure it works permanently, but perhaps somebody more technically savvy can provide an explanation. At night, I shut down my radio. This morning when I turned it back on and tried google maps locate me, it didn't work right away. Went back to Navizon and again, it's working. I can now go to locate me directly each time and it works. Not sure why, just sharing.

That's pretty much my experience. It was pretty straightforward as far as the jailbreak goes. We'll see how things play out.

Sep 29, 2007
This was already released in the other thread.

Yes it does work as I tried it on a MBP with a 1.1.2 Jailbroken Phone and jailbroke it in 5 mins with no problems.

chaunce

Oct 22, 2007

Yes it does work as I tried it on a MBP with a 1.1.2 Jailbroken Phone and jailbroke it in 5 mins with no problems.
Thanks. Posted more for the mac experience then for the locate me experience, but now I've seen the posts. Good to see it working. Perhaps a more permanent workaround can be written.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
Ehh, I have a jailbroken OTB 1.1.2 phone, so I'm a bit wary of trying the jailbreak now... Heard there is a chance of losing phone functions for those of us w/ baseband v.4.6 (or whatever) when updating to 1.1.3. I am glad, however, to see that a Mac version of the jb is available for my Mac brethren who either don't have 1.1.2 OTB, or have the balls to jb anyway!

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
if i alerady updated to 1.1.3 can i do this or am i out of luck?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

right, i just thought it would be good to have a dedicated thread, because if people didn't read the WHOLE other thread (let's be honest, when does that ever happen?), then they would get the impression there isn't a Mac jailbreak yet.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
I was getting tired reading the other 15 page thread. Thanks for the post.

If I have an original iPhone purchased on day one and have it jailbroken 1.1.1, can I follow the directions in the first post?

Is there much chance to mess it up?

Thanks

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I was getting tired reading the other 15 page thread. Thanks for the post.

If I have an original iPhone purchased on day one and have it jailbroken 1.1.1, can I follow the directions in the first post?

Is there much chance to mess it up?

Thanks
To be honest, I would recommend waiting for the "official" jailbreak to be released, not this hodgepodge jailbreak we have here.

But to answer your question, yes you can perform the JB starting from step 1 with your 1.1.1, however there have been reports that it is a "hit and miss" situation with 1.1.1 in terms of the after affects of the JB once in 1.1.3. Apparently you have "better odds" if you're already on 1.1.2 before doing the upgrade.

Take note of the posts by Tinman with regards to 1.1.3, he's our resident guru.