.Mac accounts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet but has anyone heard if the iPhone will work with .Mac accounts? I would love to be able to store data on my 1 gig network disc and be able to retrieve stuff too.

Also i wonder if i will be able to connect to my computer remotely with it. I think these 2 items who be huge!

Limatoones

Jan 30, 2007
Philly, PA
I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet but has anyone heard if the iPhone will work with .Mac accounts? I would love to be able to store data on my 1 gig network disc and be able to retrieve stuff too.

Also i wonder if i will be able to connect to my computer remotely with it. I think these 2 items who be huge!
That's a good thought, but I'm imagining probably not. If it's designed around the use of an iPod through iTunes my guess is that it's going to sync entirely that way, not through .Mac. The only think I can think of off the top of my head that will for SURE work from .Mac is Mail.

HOWEVER (and I am speculating here...), because the iPhone is ALSO an internet communication device. You MAY be able to look at some of the things you put on your iDisk by logging into your .Mac account through Apple.com. You may not be able to open a lot of the files (as the iPhone does not support things like Microsoft office yet) but it does support viewing PDF. So if you have an important document you want to read or maybe pass on. Go ahead and print it to PDF and throw it on your iDisk and see if it works. Saving things on your iDisk and opening them remotely would certainly save space on your phone (even though, in reality, PDF files do not take up THAT much space).

Now, I don't think the iPhone will be able to access your home computer either. That takes software such as Timbuktu or PC-anywhere that log you into your computer remotely. Even if you COULD get into your computer, what would you want to get off of it that wouldn't already be synced to your phone?

Your pictures get synced, as do your movies, songs, contacts, email accounts, bookmarks, calendars, podcasts,... that's mostly what you'll need on the go until you can sit back down in front of a computer again to work on other things such as websites or your iMovie or whatever.

Even if you could pull off your home movie or website, would you REALLY work on it on a 3.5 inch screen? Goodness, I hope not. I have a 17" screen hooked up to my 15" laptop and I'm STILL begging for more desktop space for working on graphics, websites, even excel spreadsheets and word documents. I would CRY if I had to do that on a 3.5" screen (maybe the gods will smile upon me this year and I'll land myself a 30" LCD display.. oh that would be WONDERFUL! Better still would be TWO 30" LCD displays.. ahh.. dreamland)

You sound like you are looking more for a laptop than a cell phone...:cool:

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
Well, since it is an internet device that runs osx I was just wondering if you could mount a drive from your home computer (not control it) so you can access files. Also on the same note I'm thinking that mounting your .Mac network drive shouldn't be that out of reach either.

I should have been more specific.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
There's so much about the capabilities of the iPhone Mac OS implementation that we just don't yet know. Reports have said it is a full OS minus the unnecessaries (optical drivers, etc.) so wireless iDisk mounting is certainly conceivable. We'll see what happens as more info trickles out of Cupertino.

-K

P.S. So I wonder if printer drivers are there...