Mac assistance needed.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Weird, asking for help with my Mac. Anyway, today when I attempted to partition my drive to install windows, I got a error that told me I need to restart my computer about 1/4 of the way through the partition. I rebooted, and it booted fine. However, my hard disk, which should show 23 GB available, show 10.99 GB available. I looked in Boot Camp and Disk Utility, and the partition was not created. I looked this up, and apparently repairing the disk in Disk Utility when the Mac is booted from the install disk solves the issue.

However, my Leopard install disk was scratched in some way and the Mac cannot boot from it. I tried repairing the disk from Disk Utility normally, but that failed. I suppose I can live with it, but it's quite annoying and I really want to make that partition, which can now not be created, because my hard disk doesn't think I have enough space.

Any suggestions are welcome.

- John

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
download a leopard ISO and burn it to a DVD, and then boot from it.

its all very hush hush.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I downloaded a torrent of it this morning from The Pirate Bay and starting downloading it right then, but there wasn't a single byte downloaded when I got home. I downloaded the one that says 'Straight from the Leopard Install DVD' in the description field, and I can't find any others. Could you look around there for me and PM me the link to it if you find one?

Thanks.

By the way - the firmware that you sent me. When you made it, did you click Activate or not? Because after using it, I had no service.

- John

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I downloaded a torrent of it this morning from The Pirate Bay and starting downloading it right then, but there wasn't a single byte downloaded when I got home. I downloaded the one that says 'Straight from the Leopard Install DVD' in the description field, and I can't find any others. Could you look around there for me and PM me the link to it if you find one?

Thanks.

By the way - the firmware that you sent me. When you made it, did you click Activate or not? Because after using it, I had no service.

- John
Have you tried one of those disk scratch removers? Polish your disk so you can boot from it. Tis what I would do...

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
thats peculiar, I don't think I chose activate...

when I get home tonight, I'll check, and I'll post a new torrent.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Just choose the opposite of whatever you chose the first time. (Same packages and images, of course.)

I'm dying to get Band running.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Have you tried one of those disk scratch removers? Polish your disk so you can boot from it. Tis what I would do...
Just tried it, still a no go. You see, my MBP has a messed up disk drive, and it created a perfect (deep) scratch all the way around the middle of the disk.

What's strange is that it's still readable when the Mac has booted from the Hard Disk.

Either way, I found another iso, and it's downloading now.

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
What's strange is that it's still readable when the Mac has booted from the Hard Disk.
dude, if that's the case, then just create a disc image from the disc, and burn it to a blank one.

no need to download.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I tried that too. Disk Utility told me that there was an error reading the data from the disk.

- John

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I tried that too. Disk Utility told me that there was an error reading the data from the disk.

- John
That's cause data is written to the disk in the circular pattern, so a scratch around the disk is bound to mess up a bunch of data. If you can't polish that out, you may have to get you another one!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
can you not boot to the original OS discs that came with your computer?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
he should still be able to boot to the discs and use their utilities.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I do have the old Tiger installation disks, which is what the Mini came with. Either way, the iso finished downloading, so I'm going to burn that and try to boot form it.

By the way - I've never booted from an install disk. I know that I press Option to boot from it, but what should I see once it's booted and how do I find Disk Utility?

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think you actually hold down the "C" button to boot to a disc. once you boot, there should be a "Utilities" option in the menu bar.