Mac Compatibility Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gil, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

I just bought a MacBook Pro with retina Display. Without any further installations can I receive, edit, create or send MS office documents such as word, excel or PowerPoint?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Preview (pre-installed on your MacBook Pro) is capable of opening MS Office documents, but not editing them.

In order to edit those documents, you'll need to install either the MS Office apps themselves, or software capable of opening and editing their documents, such as Apple's suite (Pages, Numbers, or Keynote), or LibreOffice for Mac.

3. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I like Apple's home-grown apps like Keynote, Pages, etc. But it's still a Windows/Microsoft world in which we live, and I consider Office for Mac to be an indispensable suite of programs. Nothing else comes close, and I've tried everything. The real rub with other apps is cross-platform compatibility. Get Office for Mac and you'll be happy you did. The Home/Student edition is all you need as it includes Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Those are the big three. Outlook sucks IMHO - no unified inbox! Not even the option for a unified inbox. Geez, even BlackBerry offered that in 2005.

4. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

I agree getting the Office for Mac is a good idea,i use the free Kingsoft Writer on my Windows computers but it's not available for the Mac. I wonder why? Because it's FREE could that have anything to do with it.

5. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

As an old time cheapskate I'd ditched MS for office type tasks long before I went to iMac from PC/Windows. I went to Open Office from (at that time) Sun microsystems, which then led to Oracle, then an outfit called Apache, all without significant changes when updates were/are done... It s worth investigating. Research 'Open Office.org. - only hiccup I've had was at first it wouldn't download. In order to get O/O ( and a few other 3rd party apps) to download I'd had to open up ( in preferences-security) to allow downloads beyond items from the Mac App Store, to include 'known developers' years ago. Now even that wasn't good enough, after the El Capitan Update as O/O has changed hands so may times it's now offered by an 'unknown developer' ( it was gifted to a university I believe) so I had to 'wide open' the download permissions, which worked, then as soon as the application was installed and running, close my security to Mac Apps and known developers..... Its probably not for everyone but worth having a try, as the price is right and it does work fairly well...

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm familliar with that office suite. It's supposed to be quite solid, but I don't't speak from experience. I think I only downloaded to "check it out" then got rid of it. I'm comfortable and happy with Apple's office suite of apps, so I don't really have a need for it.

By the way, it's called LibreOffice now, and it's developed by The Document Foundation.

One can find and download it here.

The suite includes a word processor, a spreadsheet program, a presentation program resembling Microsoft PowerPoint, a vector graphics editor, a database management program, and an application for creating and editing mathematical formulae.

7. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I did provide that same link in my post, but yours is the mobile version (also good to have handy!) So, if you're on the iPhone, use dmoskaluk's link, but if you're on desktop, you may get a better reading experience if you use my link.

9. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

Rafagon thanks for the last time but I am back again with another problem. I am just finding it impossible to get my MackBook Pro and iPhone 6+ to connect for file transfer. Both are with the latest OS. Any tips?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Use AirDrop. It's a stock feature on Macs and iPhones.