Mac News

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I want to know what everyone is using to keep up with the latest breakthroughs in the Mac world. So news for the iPhone, iMac, iPod, basically Apple devices. I've tried apps like Pulse and News 360, but want something that is more about technology. I have the app Drippler for iPhone news.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I want to know what everyone is using to keep up with the latest breakthroughs in the Mac world. So news for the iPhone, iMac, iPod, basically Apple devices. I've tried apps like Pulse and News 360, but want something that is more about technology. I have the app Drippler for iPhone news.
I have 9 great tech sites on Pulse. Most are iPhone/Mac specific.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1394248425.328331.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
AppleInsider.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
AppleInsider is included on my tech list in Pulse. The Ai app requires a subscription.
You don't need to use the app for it. You can use mobile Safari and there is no subscription required. I don't get the obsession with forum and website apps. It seems that some people have become so dependent on them that they have forgotten that we can use Safari for this stuff.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
You don't need to use the app for it. You can use mobile Safari and there is no subscription required. I don't get the obsession with forum and website apps. It seems that some people have become so dependent on them that they have forgotten that we can use Safari for this stuff.
Yep. I knew that. I should have mentioned it to him. Thanks for bringing it up.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I've been getting away from using Safari unless I need to. The reason being lately since the iOS 7 upgrade, Safari is crashing frequently when I try to open multiple tabs or different pages. I don't know if this is a common issue with Safari but it can be frustrating when trying to use the browser.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've been getting away from using Safari unless I need to. The reason being lately since the iOS 7 upgrade, Safari is crashing frequently when I try to open multiple tabs or different pages. I don't know if this is a common issue with Safari but it can be frustrating when trying to use the browser.
It's very common. I have an average of one Safari crash a day. 7.1 fixes it.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I've been using the Puffin Browser for 2 sites I'm a member of. It shows the desktop version where Safari does not. That's all I use it for. But it works great. And the icon is cute. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've been using the Puffin Browser for 2 sites I'm a member of. It shows the desktop version where Safari does not. That's all I use it for. But it works great. And the icon is cute. :)
There's a link to switch to the full site at the bottom of the page in Safari.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
There's a link to switch to the full site at the bottom of the page in Safari.
On some sites that's true. Maybe most. But one of the two sites I visit hasn't got that option. The site owner and admin is a friend. He suggested another browser. The site has a mobile version, but lacks many of the desktop features.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
On some sites that's true. Maybe most. But one of the two sites I visit hasn't got that option. The site owner and admin is a friend. He suggested another browser. The site has a mobile version, but lacks many of the desktop features.
Oh, okay. I thought you were talking about AppleInsider.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I hadn't realized that the TUAW app had been pulled. I still use it on my phone & on my iPad almost daily.

I also use Flipboard to aggregate some tech news.

Last edited:

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I've been using AppleInsider for the latest news. It doesn't seem to support push notifications and I have to open the app to update the feed. Am I missing something?