Mac OS Suggestion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by abf4775, Sep 18, 2015.

1. abf4775

abf4775 Member
    Bronze

I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with the i7 processor and 8GB of ram, and am currently running OS Mavericks. I have heard several stories of problems with Yosemite and wondered if anyone here could give any advice on upgrading to Yosemite or not. I figure this will probably be the last OS version that my current machine will be able to accept. As I recall I think the mid 2012's just barely made the cut-off for Yosemite. Anyway are there still any issues with wi-fi not working correctly or other problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I don't use my 2010 15" MBP 2.53 i5 8GB RAM as my primary computer anymore, but it works very well with Yosemite. I can't wait to replace the DVD drive with a SSD.

If yours is an i7 2012 model I wouldn't hesitate unless you use specific software that hasn't been updated.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree with @Kadelic and would upgrade. Yosemite runs great on my 2011 27" iMac. I did upgrade the RAM from 4 to 12 GB when I got it, but it will also run well with 8.

Everything runs so well on it that I haven't even considered getting a newer model until very recently - it's the 5K screen that's tempting me.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm running Yosemite on a 2014 MBP with 13" screen, 8GB RAM, i5, and it runs great. Although, the 15" would be better for more screen estate in retrospect. It's also my primary computer for home and college.