Mac OS X 10.9.3 has been released

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, May 15, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The world's most advanced desktop operating system has just gotten more advanced, yet not advanced enough to allow you to take advantage of the new advances while abstaining from a reboot.

Serve yourself a tall, celebratory glass of Mountain Dew, then do this, safely eject your external drive(s), move that mouse pointer over to the Apple icon on the upper left-hand of your screen (it looks like this, except that it features a subtle gradient from darker at the top to ligher at the bottom: ), then click on "Restart..."

So, what makes this new update so awesome?

SPOILER ALERT!

Here it goes:

Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 2.28.10 PM.png

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Also, would some of you mind not doing this right away? You're bogarting the Apple servers and this rather small-sized update is taking me more than one minute to download. I have an audience with the Pope in half an hour, and I haven't shaved yet, but I guess it's gonna have to wait... :)

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm about to do the update. Hope that's alright with you. :) :p

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm going to do the update as well.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

For whatever reason, Software Update is telling me to do a restart, even though I've done at least two restarts since installing the update. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 12.29.52 PM.png

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

BTW, according to the page where I found the solution,

But I did not test that theory. The site goes on to explain that The Loop's Dave Mark suggests this method:

And it's too late for today, I've already had half of the two-liter bottle. Now that you mention it, my mouth is feeling a little dry, so I'm gonna drink a little more right now...

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

So I shouldn't have posted it? Jeez..,

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What I mean is, too late to warn me not to drink the soda, it's already been drunk...

By the way, I fixed the thing about Software Update telling me to do a restart (even though I had already performed several) that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I clicked on Restart Now right there on the Software Update tab (and not the restart option under the system menu). It proceeded to re-do the update. I know this bug about double updates has reared its head before with application updates, but now it's happening with OS X system software (10.9.x) updates. Interestingly, the iTunes v11.2 application did not require a second update.

Darn it, Apple, can you get it right for a change?

twice.jpg

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Interesting turn of events. So it was the iTunes update that broke the Users folder, and not the OS X 10.9.3 update.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Word to the wise: Simply installing the iTunes update (thank you for the post, Napoleon, you got the news before I did this time :D ), you will have to either restart your machine or at the very least restart the Finder (enter killall Finder at the Terminal prompt) for the fix to take effect. Apple didn't bother to mention a restart would be required. As a matter of fact, Apple didn't bother to even acknowledge the bug. The update notes for the iTunes update which fixed the bug were simply a cut-and-paste of the update that introduced the bug in the first place.

lazyApple.jpg

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Safari 7.0.4 and Safari 6.1.4 have been released into the wild by Apple, both containing security fixes.

Learn more.

The Safari 7.0.4 update...

scale.jpg equals_sign.png 52454 KB almost_equal_to.png 51.2 MB

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Well, is it finally ready for prime time?

Yesterday, I watched as my eldest son-in-law installed 10.9.3 on an older 17" MBP running Lion. My newer 2011 15 incher is still on Mt. Lion since it's my only computer now. Has the OS matured/stabilized enough to trust it at this point?

Signed,
    "Fearful of .0 software releases"

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Dear Fearful,

I understand your apprehension, but 10.9.3 is ready, mature, and stable.

And it is not a .0 software release, so fear not!

Signed,

The OS X Fear Exterminator

16. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Running 10.9.3 now on my MBP. The iMac almost gave us a heart attack though. We'd brought it to the main level where the update ran over wifi. Meanwhile, my MBP was connected directly via LAN and installed without a hitch, finishing more quickly. I guess it didn't help that, as the iMac was just completing OS update, someone (not me) moved the machine enough that power cord was disconnected from the A/C. After some panic, we got it to finally accept the Time Machine's backup as a valid source for the existing files. I guess it always helps when a certain someone remembers his username on that machine. <GRIN>

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hmm..... There are no pictures to prove it wasn't you. We'll have to take your word for it.

Well, neither me nor anyone in my house unplugged my iMac during the OS update, but I still ran into an anomaly—I unexplainably ended up having to perform the OS update twice (see above, post #9). This has happened to me several times before with apps, but never with an OS update.

...Maybe Syrah will fix this for me.

18. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Well, the installation effort was completed on the iMac up to but just shy of establishing the admin & user accounts. From an operating system standpoint, all went well but we had to fiddle with some accounts and permissions to get the shared Dropbox budget folder back in order. We eventually were able to restore the data and apps on the iMac from its Time Machine. Now, both machines are up and running.

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

images.jpeg

iTunes 11.2.2 has just been unchained by Apple, which "fixes a problem where certain podcast episodes may download unexpectedly after upgrading and includes several stability improvements."

This update weighs in at 76273 KB, which is roughly 74.5 MB.