Mac OS X Mavericks Developer Preview Discussion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Mavericks Developer Preview 4 has been released. If you have DP3, get DP4 through Software Update.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

So the shoe is on the other foot. Mavericks gets updated today and no love for iOS 7 beta, yet.:confused:

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

LOL! I myself found that quite odd, but... whatever. I'm sure I know what they're doing.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Have you seen the iOS 7 icons yet?

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I've seen them in passing. But, like a good movie, I don't - really- want to see them. They are spoilers. I will wait patiently. Just like I'm going to do with Mavericks. Apple is too much a part of my blood. I will wait to the day and date.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple has released OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 5.

hc110.jpg

If you're a developer, head on over Apple's Mavericks Developer Page.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple has released OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 6!

You can download it at the usual place, Apple's Mac Dev Center. Note that you will need a developer's account to access this sure-to-be-amazing release of OS X.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

With all the caps and exclamation points in the title, I thought a cure for cancer had been found.

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It appears I provided the keys to the Thread Title editing. Incorrectly, I might add. Order has been restored.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Awww shucks... :(

It was cool for a while to be able to edit my own thread titles and not have to bug a Moderator. I thought it was an intentional forum behavior perhaps based on rank that you had decided to give to any users with rank >= "Genius".

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Egad! It almost seems you're implying that new developer releases of the WMAOS (World’s Most Advanced Operating System) are not as important as the potential finding of a cure to cancer.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No, but it's nothing to shout about.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple has released OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 7!

dp7.jpg
    You can download it at the usual place, Apple's Mac Dev Center. Note that you will need a developer's account to access this sure-to-be-amazing release of OS X.

#14 Rafagon, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple is very busy preparing for its launch of both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, but has still managed to find the time to release OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 8.

Starting with DP8, OS X Mavericks now comes with a lovely case. For the colorful.

hero_wave.jpg

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

GM released.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

OS X Mavericks has been released, and it be available for the low, low price of... free.

According to this article, Apple sold 28 million copies of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, as of the date the article was published, June 10th, 2013.

Some quick math tells us that 28,000,000 * $19.99 = $559,720,000.

Even if Apple had lowered the price of its OS X Mavericks 10.9 operating system to $9.99, and let's assume, for a second, that they are going to tell MORE copies of Mavericks, not fewer (let's go with a conservative figure of 30 million copies), that means that Apple could have made $299,700,000 selling their new OS X Mavericks 10.9 for just $9.99.

Yet, Apple chose to relinquish this sum of money.

Sure, you might say that $300M is not a big deal for Apple, but $300M in Apple's pocket is better than not having those $300M. Don't forget that $300M is one-third of a billion dollars.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro retails for $199.99 (though you can save a whopping $10 by buying it from Amazon).

Why doesn't Mirosoft at least cut the price of their Windows OS by $100? Are they THAT greedy? Or are that THAT worried that they aren't doing that well?

#17 Rafagon, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You are correct Rafagon, Microsoft may not be in a position to throw money away like that. Although it seems like Apple is loosing money in the short term, they may be winning in the long term.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple wants as many people as possible running the latest version of OS X. They can give it away for free since they make quite a bit from software purchases and upgrades such as iLife and iWorks. Most people don't have a new computer and qualify for the free software downloads.