Mac the positives and negatives. Should I convert?

Jul 24, 2008
First I have to say that I am a lifelong PC guy, and have never had any experience with mac. My first Apple purchase was two years ago with a 30g ipod. While I was impressed, it wasn't impressive enough to lure me from PC. However I have recently purchased an iPhone 3G and am convinced this phone and the software that controlls it, while flawed, are still far supperier to any other phone and phone software on the market to the point where I would say it is years ahead of its time. The WOW factor is enough that I am considering a mac purchase when my current HP pc takes it's final download. At 4 1/2 years old, the PC has been very reliable. I have had to format "rebuild" the OS and software a couple of times through the years, but otherwise I have had no complaints with the device or software.

What I am looking for with this thread are for people who have converted from PC to mac to offer some testimonials on the positives(which I have heard plenty of) and more important the negatives(which seem harder to come by), concentrating on any compatibility issues with the internet and hardware. I am very comfortable with PC and all versions of windows, except Vista, so I naturally have a fear of starting over with mac and a totally different OS. Even if I stay with PC with the next purchase, I plan on staying with XP, which seems to be the better PC os at this time.

Any help with this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
My wife just got a Mac and loves it. Personally I like Vista, but I do want a Mac. You can alwasy boot camp your Mac to have a PC or do a virtual machine.

I also found this thread today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Absolutely.

When you first use a Mac, it will seem different, but you'll get used to it and love it. There are many people here that have switched; just ask them. There pros far outweigh the cons. The UI absolutely slams Windows', you won't ever have to worry about getting a virus, and the seamlessness between Mac, iPod, iPhone, etc is wonderful.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you won't necessarily EVER have to worry about viruses. Just for the foreseeable future.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've built most of my PCs, and have always been a PC guy, but after my wife bought me an iMac, I only use the PC for gaming and burning movies. My iMac is my main computer and have never had one single problem with it since I got it last Christmas. I can't really say that about a windows machine.

samy

Bronze
Sep 23, 2008
California
An honest opinion:
I am a "switcher" and I must say at first I was sorry I had bought the Mac because I was OK with my PC, it took some getting use to. I did not like it at all at first. Now I love my mac but I do miss some of the programs from windows that cannot be used on my mac (some of my favorite games and movie making software). I guess I could invest in one of those Parallel software, I just haven't gotten around to it.
Now when I use a PC it is awkward so I guess the switch was a success for me, it just took some time. The PC is just weird to me now.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ok, now that i'm not posting from my iPhone, i'll add a bit to the discussion. Overall i will say i am extremely glad i switched. I don't expect ever to go back to Windows EXCEPT when i build a custom desktop. I think from now on, my laptops and mini computers will all be Mac. That being said, i will spare you the positives that i'm sure you've heard countless other places, and list some things i have had trouble with.

The most difficult part of the "learning curve" was finding replacement apps that correspond to apps i was used to using in windows... After i did that, however, i quickly came to like them much better than their Windows counterparts.

Something i still have trouble with (even after 6+ months of heavy use) is Finder (Mac's file explorer). Some examples... Simply hitting "return" when a file/folder is highlighted does NOT open it, but only gives you a "quick look" (or preview). Finder does not seem to remember my viewing preferences well, either. I like viewing folders in the list format (in windows it's like viewing a folder with "details"), but no matter how many times i change the Finder's preferences to this, it seems to get overwritten shortly after. Also, in Finder, there is NO "cut". No keyboard combo, no right click option, and no file option. So, you have to "copy", "paste", and THEN "move [the original] to trash". Very tedious.

I also LOATHE the fact that there is no proper "delete" key on my MacBook's Keyboard (or my bluetooth keyboard).

I think those are the biggest pains for me... but i have learned to live with them.

samy

Bronze
Sep 23, 2008
California
I can't get use to not being able to right click to save an image, unless I use a mouse with my macbook.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I can't get use to not being able to right click to save an image, unless I use a mouse with my macbook.
Well you can right click by pressing control and clicking, or in Preferences you can set it to right click when you place two fingers on the trackpad and click...just in case you didn't know. ;)

samy

Bronze
Sep 23, 2008
California
Thanks, it just has taken awhile to get use to all the command, control, shift, option businesss:).

edit: Wow, amazing, I just tried the 2 finger tap over an image and it worked! Thanks again!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I switched to Mac back in March and I will not make the switch back to PC. I love my Mac and every single day I've had it I have found another feature I absolutely love. While I have issues using a few things (such as the program necessary to watch my lectures online, but who am I kidding? I never watched them anyway) overall I have found that I can run anything on my Mac that I had on my PC.

I still have a desktop PC back at home running on XP and I will do anything I can to avoid Vista.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I'm currently a PC guy, and Vista is fine, but I recently converted my cousin into a Mac girl. I too will spare you any of the cliche positives you've already heard, just remember that they're there :p

Learning a different OS is the hardest part, but at least most things work intuitively, so you get used to it really quickly, as opposed to switching the other way around. They were very fortunate to have a small enough crowd that they could reinvent their wheel not too long ago without too much trouble. They designed it very well from the ground up.

There are other differences besides the OS, as well. For example, the power button is an instant-off, rather than a soft-off button which tells the OS to do its shutdown thing. And the keys are a little different.

Overall, the reason you don't hear a lot of negatives is simply because there are fewer negatives to learning to use a Mac. It's like learning to speak a new langauge - many positives, few or no negatives. It just depends on how you use your computer.

You can learn to use your Mac without giving up Windows. If you have a legal copy of Windows XP, you can use the Bootcamp utility that comes free on all new Macs to set up a different section of your hard drive to boot to Windows. Then you just have a simple reboot to hop into the other OS.