Mac Tutorial: How To Put DVDs on the iPhone

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
Problem

I have a Mac G5, using Handshake. I converted a movie to MP4, and then copied it to iTunes. When I try to sync it to the iPhone, I get a message telling me that the movie was not copied because the iPhone can't play the movie.

Any suggestions?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
^^ you probably converted the movie with the wrong settings. there's a maximum data rate size and resolution the iPhone/iPod uses and if you go above it, those movies can't be played.

The newly released handbrake 0.9 has better presets for iPhone now as well.

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
^^ you probably converted the movie with the wrong settings. there's a maximum data rate size and resolution the iPhone/iPod uses and if you go above it, those movies can't be played.

The newly released handbrake 0.9 has better presets for iPhone now as well.
I just downloaded Handbrake yesterday. I'ill check the settings. Just to get a comparrison, I downloaded a TV show from the iTunes store. It worked fine. Now I am going to compare the two to see what is different.

Thanks for the reply Spin This.

Rich

Aug 21, 2007
anyone know if the new version of handbrake offers support for existing avi files?

Running parallels on my macbook I installed videora and it gave me an eta of around 1hr 30min to complete...I actually aborted as I wanted to sleep and I don't trust my macbook with the charger plugged in without supervision after some horror stories...but anyway I digress. Just wondered if it would be quicker doing this natively on the mac os instead- would be a nice test.

I do have an absolute monster of a machine at the office so could possibly utilise videora on this to see how quick it can get.....its dual-core dual processor with each core running at 2992mhz with 4 gig of mem - think it would breeze through it like a hot knife through butter!

anyone know if the new version of handbrake offers support for existing avi files?

Running parallels on my macbook I installed videora and it gave me an eta of around 1hr 30min to complete...I actually aborted as I wanted to sleep and I don't trust my macbook with the charger plugged in without supervision after some horror stories...but anyway I digress. Just wondered if it would be quicker doing this natively on the mac os instead- would be a nice test.

I do have an absolute monster of a machine at the office so could possibly utilise videora on this to see how quick it can get.....its dual-core dual processor with each core running at 2992mhz with 4 gig of mem - think it would breeze through it like a hot knife through butter!
That monster machine should easily do a 2 hour movie in less than 30 minutes.

As for converting an AVI, have heard either on this forum or one of the Mac forums that Handbrake will convert them to play on the iPhone. Just open it up in Handbrake and convert.

It's amazing the speed that a dual core or better computer will convert these movies! I was so stunned when I first bought a dual core and it converted short video in seconds when an old Pentium 3 would take minutes.

Enjoy those movies!

snarfdog

Aug 26, 2007
Southern California
I have a Mac and I used Handbrake to rip my video but everything I have read here states you go to iTunes and select video to import. My problem is I do not have the video option anywhere on iTunes. I went to preferences and the only options are Movies, Podcasts, Radio, TV Shows, Audiobooks, ipod games, and Party Shuffle. Does my iTunes not have the Video because I only have a ipod nano? Help!

Aug 21, 2007
When all else fails......drag and drop! The fact you only have a nano makes no difference. I tend to select my library and then drag the movie into the itune window and it does the rest. Under your iTunes library you should have a few subfolders though....music, movie, podcast, etc.

DeeRector2

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
DVDS on iPhone

Dude, thank you soo much for this info. I put my favorite movie on it. "Signs" Your the best kid. Where did you find Handbrake anyway? I never even heard of it before your post. -DeMo

How To Put DVDs on the iPhone: A handy tutorial created by Phillip Torone at Hackszine.

HandBrake is a GPL'd multi-platform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter - it's super easy to rip the DVDs you have and put them on the new iPhone - they look great and are about 1 GB each, here's how... First, get HandBrake - Link. There are also PC versions of HandBrake, it might work about the same way.

Install it, run it. Pop the DVD in. Pick the DVD volume. Choose your settings, I use the defaults usually.

It takes about 30 min or so, it runs fine in the background.

Drag the MP4 file it makes in to iTunes, in videos tab in iTunes for the iPhone select the movie, click Sync.

The video is in the videos section. iPod / Videos.

It looks and sounds great!

NOTE: This is intended only for personal use with your purchased DVD's and not for the commercial distribution.

This guide was composed by Phillip Torrone of Hackszine.

Last edited by a moderator:

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
Subtitles?

How is Handbrake with subtitles? I absolutely need this if I'm going to put a movie on so was wondering if this works well with subtitles or if I need to look into another alternative. Also, might there be a way to put subtitles on a DVD when it does have them but not showing up as an option on Handbrake? What I mean is I can view the DVD itself with subtitles but when I go to use Handbrake, they're not there? How can I work around this issue? Thanks!

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Must be doing something wrong.

On a Macbook 1.67 G4 1.5 memory

ETA to rip a 1:45 min DVD ..... 7 hours?

Started the process and 45 min into it .... the status bar was maybe 10% done.

Guess I need to go to wifey's G5 dual huh?

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Ok ... question. Decided to rip a DVD yesterday (during NFL Sunday) and bit the bullet and did it on my MacBook. 7 hours (no exaggeration) ... but it (Handbrake) ran fine in the background, etc .... and bottom line, everything worked out.

I used the presets in Handbrake for "iPhone". When it got done I synced the file up to the iPhone .... went to iPod > Video's ..... no videos available. Huh? Sync'd again. Same thing. Finally went to the Apple forum and found out I needed to select the video in iTunes, go the Advanced drop down menu and convert the file for iPod.

(drum roll) Should I have used the presets in Handbrake for iPod instead of iPhone?