MAC users - I'm about to order and need help

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I've finally decided to make the jump to Mac and order a MacBook Pro.

No wanting to cut totally free from Windoze, I need to know the following:

What are the differences between VM, Parallels and Cross Over?

Should I order all 3? Will one do the job?

Quick as you can - I'm eager to press the confirm order button!:laugh2:

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, VMware and Parallels are apps that allow you to fully run the Windows OS under OS X. You can open the app and boot what's called your virtual machine, and all of Windows will be accessible to you. In this department, I've tried both and believe that VMware is the better choice as it runs faster, is more stable, and has more features.

CrossOver, however - which is what I currently use - is my pick of the three. Cross over simply allows Windows apps to run on OS X. It's not a virtual machine, so you can't use Windows itself, but all of its apps can be used, which is what I need.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I also have a MBP and use VMWare Fusion, mostly to access my company's net via VPN and have had very little issues with it. It's nice to be able to run Fusion in a separate Space using Spaces in Leopard, then switch over to the Mac side with no interruptions. I have one program that can't run in Fusion because it needs to fully support DirectX but I use Bootcamp for that. The main drawback to Bootcamp is that you have to reboot the system to run it. With Fusion, it's an Application and the virtual machine is a file stored in the Mac file system. Bootcamp requires a new partition on the hard drive.

Bottom line, there are several options available to you for running Windows programs, you won't be disappointed with the MBP.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Well thanks for the replies. It's a real shame I didn't get the reply notifications on time. I couldn't wait and ordered my MBP with Parallels. Still, it's not exactly a fortune is it?

They're quoting 20 days+ for delivery! That will give me time to get up to speed with all things Mac before it arrives.

I went for the 2.8 with 320Gb/7200 HD, along with a wirelss keyboard and mightymouse. Also ordered both versions of video connector and MS Office.

I managed to get the '24 hour give away' version of Cross Over, not that the saving takes the sting out of the total cost much!

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I use Parallels for Outlook, Excel (as the mac version has been crippled with no VB), and less than a handful of other Windows only programs. Works great for me. Just make sure you have your MBP loaded with RAM.