Mac vs other computers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RyansTitan05, Nov 29, 2014.

1. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Guys... I'm wanting a new computer... I actually wanna get a Asus Rog series for gaming!

But I don't wanna spend a ton! The Asus Rog is $1350 for the one I want..

Can anyone tell me why I should buy a Mac? I currently have a 21 inch iMac that's starting to run slow!

I'm lack a ton of knowledge on computers that's why I'm asking! I only use the computer for games... Internet and photos!

Thanks guys!

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You're going to spend more than that on a decent Mac. I'd recommend at least the 27" with 8GB memory and TB drive. That is going to run you $1800 or one of the new 5K IMacs for$2700.

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Why buy a Mac? Oh easy ... they "just work". lol :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

More and more this is becoming a joke with my Mac and my iPhone. Frikking pathetic. It's not bad enough to go back to Windows yet...

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah. I think the Apple mantra of "It just works" has run its course.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The severity and amount of bugs over the past couple years is an indication that the software developers are becoming lazy and their beta testing is inadequate. The worst was probably the iOS update that killed cellular service. They can't seem to get WiFi or their own mobile browser right. They have frequent bugs with those two things in early versions.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It has run its course but it's true. A great example is when I wrote an Android app and everyone in the class was on Windows, I connected my app to the Android phone and it launched right away. The rest of the class had to download additional drivers to test the app. So even though the mantra is overused, "it just works" on Apple.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

iOS 8 has been a mess, but I don't feel like OS X is any more buggy now than it has ever been. Just my experience though.

Anyway, as for the original question - some of the reasons I choose Macs over PC:

• Battery life
    • trackpad. no other trackpad even comes close in terms of functionality and responsiveness.
    • connections. retina MacBooks have two thunderbolt ports and an HDMI to hook up to two external monitors.
    • OSX. to me, it just makes more sense. when I use a windows computer, I feel like I'm constantly fighting with it to do what I want to do. granted, this is a personal preference, but you can also install windows in boot camp or a VM and get best of both worlds. Also in regards to OS X, it gets steadily updated (for free) every year with new features. Windows does not get new features as often, and major revisions are never free.
    • to a lesser extent, form factor. hardly a deal breaker, but a light, thin computer is nice especially if you have to carry it around a lot.

All that being said, if you're getting a new computer to game on, get a PC. It's possible on a Mac, but the native support for games isn't there as much. It's possible to get a lot of games to work with wineskin, bootcamp, or whatever, but it's a lot of unnecessary work when you could have just gotten a windows PC to begin with.

#9 acosmichippo, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It has run its course and it's no longer true.. A great example is when I I try to tap a link in mobile Safari in landscape mode but have to go to portrait mode and then back to landscape to get the link activated. Another great example is when my Messages app freezes and I have to force quit and relaunch it. Another really great example is when a lot of users (as of 8.1) couldn't use certain forums without the keyboard locking up and crashing. Oh, yeah, why not mention the wifi connectivity and speed issues as well? I'm not talking about some class where students had to download drivers (oh, the horror!); I'm talking about real-world usability. So, even though the mantra is overused, "it doesn't just work" on Apple.

I probably shouldn't mention iOS 8.0.1, should I?

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You are talking about issues in 8.1. I'm talking about Mac OS X. The iOS market share doesn't make up for all the issues with Apple. In general, I've had an issue or two on Yosemite which gets resolved and then everything works.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I imagine that iOS devices make up a fairly hefty portion of Apple's profit. Anyway, I was off-topic and I apologize for that, but I won't apologize for Apple's shoddy software quality control as of late.

13. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well look, the thing I like about Windows the most is how you click "Start" when you want to "Quit"... Brilliant.

14. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

As far as WiFi connectivity I made a decision to 1) keep my machines on Mavericks for the forseeable future 2) not upgrade my iMac which I desperately wanted to do. Yes I am buying a rMBP for my wife for Christmas only because here MacBook is 7 years old. But it will be returned quickly if there is any inkling of WiFi issues.

Again for me, I don't need Yosemite and all it's problems. Just not gonna go through that.

For the moment screw you Apple

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I haven't had a single problem with Yosemite on my iMac.

On the off chance you had WiFi issues on it, disabling AirDrop (I posted full details in the WiFi thread) will resolve it for now until Apple fixes it.

16. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Yes Mindi I appreciate your advice on all this. The issue for me is once I upgrade to Yosemite it's very difficult to go back. Plus on a new iMac or rMBP you can't apparently. From everything I've read this is one if not the worst OS releases yet. So many issues. Ima gonna wait!

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't. I hit Alt-F4.