Mac vs PC?

Kasha

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
Hey guys & girls,

I hope i don't start a mac vs pc war but i need some input...

I reallyyyyy want to buy a mac but i study computer science at university and need linux and windows software which i already have on my current HP laptop.

Do u think a mac would a wise/suitable decision to make. I have no problems with my current laptop i just really like the look of a mac :)

Thanks in advance for any help :)

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
You can install Windows etc on your Mac if you got one by using BootCamp

Jun 30, 2009
Mac is much more better than pc. I think mac offers you quality & variety. I used pc also but me feel more comfort in mac. As I think a mac would be the wisest decision to make.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How about keeping the HP for dual booting Windows and a Linux and then getting a MacBook? I wouldn't want to taint my MacBook with Windows. I have a PC running XP, a MacBook and a Sony Vaio Laptop for Ubuntu. If you don't use Linux much, you could just run an Ubuntu live CD on the Mac.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I would just add to your collection. If there is no problems with the HP, well then just keep it. No? If you've got the money and the desire, invest in a Macbook. I'm with Europa, I use the Ubuntu Live CD instead of a partitioned install.

Kasha

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for all the input i really appreciate it. Looks like im gonna be saving for a macbook :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I was in the same predicament as you. I had never used a mac before, and was dubious, as I had heard horror stories from my companies IT dept.

However, after buying the iPhone, I jumped ship and bought a Macbook. I can honestly say, I absolutely love it. I wouldn't use a windows machine now unless it was necessary.

I don't know if you have this but in the UK, Sky Tv have some computer software called Sky Player which enables you to watch certain tv channels live and on demand online. Until recently, this was only useable on Windows.

All I had to do was run boot camp, and it installed windows vista (after I put the disk in) in less than 15 mins. This was perfect for me. Luckily, Sky player now works on mac's! ;)

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
I tried a mac, and I can't get used to it, - doesn't break my deal with Windows, which I find easier to use, and thereforee generally faster to do my tasks.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'd like to try out a Mac for a week before committing to paying the price for one. I've been a M$ user for so long and have only messed with a mac briefly.

I do like the more streamlined 'feel & look' of a Mac though.

Kasha

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
I agree. I probably wouldn't be struggling to decide if i could at first handle a mac and then commit to buy, also the hefty price is a little discouraging. What also is bothering me is that i could buy a touch HP laptop for around £800 - ahhh im struggling to decide, i hate this :(

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I agree. I probably wouldn't be struggling to decide if i could at first handle a mac and then commit to buy, also the hefty price is a little discouraging. What also is bothering me is that i could buy a touch HP laptop for around £800 - ahhh im struggling to decide, i hate this :(
The basic mac is £749. Although spec wise the equivalent windows machine may look better, the Mac performs so much smoother, Windows seems to slow everything down!

Book an appointment with a genius for a 1 to 1, seriously, the genius will show you everything you need to know and more. Its amazing how smooth a mac is. Even the base model

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasha

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
A genius? lol

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check it out, what is the difference between the basic mac and the macbook pro etc? Im so new to Apple products but the iPhone has reallllly impressed me :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK

Kasha

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
thank you so so so so much. My family are sick of me going on about it, atlease here i get the much needed help lol

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
thank you so so so so much. My family are sick of me going on about it, atlease here i get the much needed help lol
haha don't worry about it, I was once in your shoes. My girlfriend hates my gadget talk! ha

Kasha

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
hey iNinja sorry to bother u again - but what do u think about ibooks?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
iBooks are the older generation, before the first MacBooks came out in 2006. If you get an iBook it'll be slower, won't run Snow Leopard when it comes out next month, and may not even run the latest OS as it is.

If you did in fact mean MacBook, then it's a fantastic first Mac. If you can, save up a couple hundred more for the 13" pro; it has a much better touchpad and the aluminum is very nice.

Mac OS X is a great OS. This is coming from someone who used DOS and Windows for 16 years. My workflow on Mac OS X is much more efficient with the features that come right in OS X out of the box. For Windows, I've got to add third party applications to get halfway there, and then it doesn't really integrate as nicely into the experience as in OS X. It does take some getting used to, but I think you'll find it to be very natural.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I used Windows units until just recently. I found a deal on a 24" iMac, 2.8 Ghz Intel core 2 duo, 320GB HD, for 1099 with a 100 dollar rebate. I felt it was a sweet deal so I jumped on it. After using it for a couple weeks now I am getting the hang of the new OS, the new mouse configuration, and everything else. There is a bit of a learning curve, but its not two big of a deal. I would use either machine if I had to, but If I got to choose it would be the Mac.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I hooked up the Logitech MX Revolution that I'd been using on my PCs. It has its own drivers that provide a more natural acceleration curve than either Windows or OS X. I much prefer it over any other mouse. I found it a bit too hard to get used to OS X's mouse acceleration.

Kasha

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
i have found a macbook i like but its not from the offical stores its secondhand (which im ok with) but can anyone help me on what to test/look out for when i check it out? As im obviously gonna go and see it before i buy it :) thanks for all the help! U guys are greeeeeaattt :eek:k:eek:k