Macbook 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by raqball, Jun 21, 2016.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Anyone have it?

I am considering snagging one but not sure if I should go base 1.1 ghz or upgrade to the 1.2 ghz. I don't need the extra storage the 1.2 provides so my thought process is if the very minor bump in processor really worth the extra $300?

I am going to say / guess that it's not and just get the base model...

Thoughts form those who have one?

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Scratch that! Went into Best Buy to play around and was told they had the rMBP (2015) i5 on sale for $1099... On top of that I got an additional 10% off (long story) so I scored it for $999... I also had $140 in Best Buy reward points so all in all I snagged it for $750! Can't beat that price so I snagged it instead..

I did play with the Macbook and it's nice but the screen is just a tad to small for me. If they put that design into a 13" then I'd buy it without a 2nd thought..

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Cruising through Best Buy today and I asked the Apple rep in the store if they had any open boxes. He said they had a 2016 m5 that was just returned last night. So...... I snagged it for a killer price! Got BB to knock it down even further...

Off to play with it I go.. Now what to do with the rMBP? LOL

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Talking to myself here in this thread but....

So, I am about 12 days into use with the 12" Macbook and --------> I love it!

I am now use to the keyboard on it. At 1st it was a bit odd because the key travel is so short but I now prefer it over the longer key travel on my rMBP.. The trackpad is above awesome and it's super large when compared to the size of the computer. The screen is of course awesome-jawsome! Battery life is about 9 hors for me but I keep the brightness cranked up so all in all I am very impressed with it.

I have the m5 version (so a little bit / a wee faster than the base model) and have had zero issues editing 1080p video. Sure it might take a few seconds longer to export the file -v- my rMPB but it's not night and day.. Depending on the file size it could be only a few seconds difference..

I use it to surf the web, email, office documents, edit 1080p video and edit photos.. I have not missed my rMBP one bit! I have no doubt this can easily be a rMBP replacement for the right person.. If you are editing 4K video then maybe not but this thing has not missed a beat since I got it and I've been trying to find a reason to return it and keep my rMBP.. I can't so the rMBP is for sale...

Now the elephant in the room is the one port..... I would have liked if there were 2 USB C ports but I don't find the fact that it only has one as a deal breaker.. I have an adapter that allows SD cards, USB A and power to run at the same time. I do not use it often but it works well.. What I find is that I only need to use the adapter in short spurts like transferring video from an SD card or plugging in a USB device to transfer data and files. Once the transfers are done, I just unplug the adapter and move along..

I realize a lot of people are upset over the one USB C but I do not find it to be a deal breaker. This is a lightweight and portable machine. It's not intended to be a desktop replacement.. If you need an external mouse and KB that attaches 24/7 then either use BT ones or this machine is not for you..

Me? I love this thing!

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been on the fence and love my rMBP but I can't justify the purchase until I see what Apple has for updates in Sept. This review has been very helpful though.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I only have one laptop and that is an ancient AST 386/25 with a 60MB hard drive running Windows 3.0. I bought it back in the 90s for about $1800 to use in a writing course. Of course I don't use it any more.

151951545514_1.jpg

#6 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

My only suggestion would be to spend the extra $$$$$$$$$$ (yes that's a lot of $ signs, LOL) and get the m5 / 512 version....

It's fast, snappy and I don't see much of a degradation when compared to my i5 rMBP...

8. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I don't see an area for Macbook accessories so I'll use this thread...

I am a huge fan of SFBags and use their products all the time. I have a Muzetto messenger bag that I've used with my 13" rMBP but I wanted something that will hold a bit more.. I ordered the Staad Backpack (slim version) in waxed canvas with chocolate accents / flap and I love it! The 12" Macbook obviously fits fine with extra room for an additional case if you wanted to slap one on it.. Inside there is plenty of room for an iPad (I don't have one), a charger, phone, hard drives, ect, ect.. The slim version actually holds a lot of gear! (https://www.sfbags.com/collections/laptop-backpacks/products/staad-laptop-backpack)

Now a question for those who might know. Right now I have an extra wall charger and cord for the Macbook but I am thinking that a USB C type battery pack might be a better option..

I came across a HyperJuice battery pack that also includes a free 29W adapter for the Macbook.. (https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperjuice-external-battery-pack-for-macbook).. Anyone have this or have used it? It does not appear that anyone else here has the 12" Macbook so my question might never get answered..

A different option might be the Anker USB C (https://www.anker.com/products/A1371012) that looks like it might work.. I wonder if the Anker can keep up with the Macbook however. I assume it will charge it just fine when the Macbook is powered off but I wonder if it provides enough juice to charge while the Macbook it's being used.

Of those 2 options the Anker is MUCH and I mean MUCH cheaper.. The HyperJuice is $169 and the Anker can be had for about $70 for the USB C version...

Thoughts?

9. jtryon

jtryon New Member

I'm waiting for the MacBook Pro model to release in September before I upgrade. I thought they were going to announce it at WWDC in June, but we were all taken by surprise when it wasn't even in the highlights. It's been three years since I've last upgraded and still running a Late 2013 Mac. I'd say it's about time for an upgrade.

10. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I thought about waiting for the new rMBP's to come out but passed for 3 main reasons.

1. I wanted ultra lightweight.
    2. I hate fans.
    3. I'm not sold on the oled bar that's rumored to come.

I am pretty sure the new rMBP will be lighter than the current version and that it will have more than one USB C port so that's a bonus but the oled bar and the fan caused me pause.

I'll see how the new rMBP progresses and maybe get one when the late 2017 version of it is released, if everything pans out with it. I am sure it will be a stellar machine but with computers, I generally try and avoid 1st gen units.