MacBook Air or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dazzle7000, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000 Member
    Bronze

I will probably be getting a MacBook Air in a few days. I was planning to get the 11" model for $1199. Now I'm thinking maybe I would be better off getting the 13" MacBook Pro for $1199. Whichever I decide to get for the foreseeable future it will be my only working computer (I have an old pc which is pretty much obsolete). I was set on the MacAir because it's brand new, cute and let's face it sexy! However. it has no card slot and for my only computer the larger screen would be a better choice. The MacPro weighs twice as much but is still pretty light weight. It also has a better processor. When are the new MacPros due to come out? I really don't need a lot of power and speed, even though I love the idea of my computer having these features. Is the MacPro 13" as "new" as the MacAir? Looking at the specs it seems to be faster for the same price, has a bigger screen and card slot.

Please, everyone, what should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I was going to post the same thing because I am stuck in the same decision process. I went to the Apple Store tonight and then saw a 27" iMac that is awesome for $1599. So not I don't know if I want the iMac, the MacBook Air, or the MacBook Pro....decisions decisions.

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

In your case (OP) MBP seems the better choice. JMO.

4. Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000 Member
    Bronze

I know just how you feel <sigh>. Whenever I'm at the Apple Store I go and gaze longingly at the large displays wishing I could have one. But I wouldn't want to have to tote one around, that's for sure!

5. Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000 Member
    Bronze

Thanks, Zanthe. You're probably right.

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

+1 for the MBP. Unless the extreme portability factor of the Air is a priority, the Pro is more machine for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd definitely go with the MacBook Air, but I have a desktop to do stuff that requires more processing power, like video editing. I mostly use a laptop for internet, email, playing digital movies and a little bit of photo editing. An Air would handle that just fine. I rarely use DVDs in my laptops, so that drive is a waste of space for me. I'd go with a MBP if it was going to be my primary computer, though.

8. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

As someone who owns a MBA, I would never recommend it as a primary computer. While sleek and sexy....it just isn't enough for a primary computer. I have an iMac to do most of my "big" stuff with and the Air is mainly for when I want to sit on the couch and surf the web and chat and post on the forums. I have a friend who has the Air as her primary and she regrets the decision now.

9. Michael Baturin

Gold

Would you say it doesn't make sense to get a MacBook Air if I have an HP Touchsmart (trying to replace with iMac), Lenovo Laptop (work), & iPad 2?

10. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Why would you need so many devices? Why would you need another laptop. I mean, no offense, but nobody needs that many devices to access the internet at once. You're only one person. My parents wanted to get me an iPad and I said: I live in 1100 square feet. There is always a device somewhere near me whether it's the Air, iPhone or iMac. I really do not need another device to connect me to the internet.

11. Michael Baturin

Gold

Well, of course I don't need anything of this sort. However, as far as how I would use it goes - my work laptop is locked down - no installing software of any kind, blocked websites, etc. So its use is limited. The HP Touchsmart is in an upstairs office room so its not as easy as a laptop. The iPad 2 really handles my need for browsing and sitting on the couch playing games etc. I guess The Macbook Air would really be overkill I think, but I would be nice to have. I may replace the touchsmart with an iMac instead though. -Pretty indecisive at this point

12. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

You said it yourself....overkill. hahaha. And yes, there are a lot of nice things to have. I was really close to buying a new MBA because I have a first gen. Then I thought about what I used it for and stopped myself. I mean, do I need to spend $1300 on a computer that is basically used to surf the net and chat when I have one that works just fine, but is a little slow? The answer I gave myself was "no." Yes, it's always nice to have the newest....but sometimes, it's just not needed. That's how I look at it anyway.

Besides, right now, I'd much rather have a new car!

13. Michael Baturin

Gold

Yeah I agree with that. I want it, but I cannot justify it to myself.

14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

As long as you have another PC or Mac the newest Airs are great.

I bought the 2010 Air this March and was very impressed. Having owned roughly two dozen laptops over the years the Air was the most impressive. Just something about that tiny package. But alas I am selling that Air.... since I just got the 2011 version! :)

But as my only PC or Mac? If my choices were an Air or a MBP I'd go with the MBP.

Of course that depends on what the needs are. In my case the optical drives in my laptops have been pretty much gone unused for a few years now. My iPhone 4 is now about the only camera that I use so a card slot is not needed either--and for the few times I need one it's on my printer. I think an Air with 128GB SSD or larger and 4GB RAM could probably manage to be the sole PC for many people. I wouldn't keep all my data on any mobile computer so either way I'd need some kind of external HD or NAS to go along with it (as I utilize now).

Michael

15. Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000 Member
    Bronze

Thank you all for your advice! I'm getting the Mac Pro. I probably would be fine with just the Air, as my computer "work" is pretty much limited to surfing the web, watching Netflix, reading and sending email, chatting and posting on forums and playing solitaire. I have absolutely no need for an iMac; it would look great in my house, I'd rather buy a new sofa and trade my Honda Civic in for a van! Maybe I'll get an iPad. I so look forward to not having to use my iPhone 4 as my sole computer, although it's been a lifesaver the past year. And now I can finally update its software, right before OS 5 comes out. Actually the only reason I'm getting a computer now is to download software to my iPhone. A few weeks ago I bought an inexpensive pc for just that. While it was downloading 4.3.5 my anti-virus software started to do a full scan and I lost everything I had done. Later that day I exchanged it for the MacBook Air.

16. Michael Baturin

Gold

Good Luck! Now using the iPhone 4 as the sole computer - that would be tough!

17. Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000 Member
    Bronze

It's a challenge! I watch Neflix on it but
    rarely surf the net because it's so cumbersome. Still, I've been able to fill out forms and pay bills online. The hardest thing for me to deal with is the touch screen. I got an outside keyboard I can use and it helps, but I don't keep it out because I don't need it often enough so when I do want to use it I have to take it out and set it up. I'm so tired of looking at a web page where I am able to see only a small portion of it unless I want to try to read tiny print. My nerves have been worn to a frazzle trying to cope!

18. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

For sitting around the living room surfing the internet and the like why would anybody need a MBA assuming they have another machine? Seems an iPad would be the prefect solution (internet/email/photos etc) in that situation.

19. Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000 Member
    Bronze

You must have a computer. Without one you cannot backup anything on your iPhone or iPad or download new software.

20. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

You assume that the iPad was around. It wasn't. I got my Air when the iPad was nothing more than a dream.