MacBook Air Refurbs

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Although the model I purchased last year was a bit slow for my needs, I still suffer from MacBook Air envy. My trip to Vegas didn't help matters. Seems like everyone live blogging was using the MBA. Now, my current MBP is no slouch, but there is something about the Air. I'm guessing MBA owners know what I'm talking about.

I went to the Apple Store today and noticed the 1.8GHz 64GB SSD is down to $1299 refurbed. Wasn't this model $3098 just months ago. I know the graphics card got bumped up in the refresh, but am I missing anything else. I don't need a ton of storage space. Would then have to make a decision between the MBP and MBA. Just don't want to miss the boat on this deal.

Anyone see speed comparisons between the two and perhaps the early-2008 MBP?

What about Firewire cards? Imported video at CES via Firewire, so this is a must.

Must resist the urge....

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I know what you're talking about, Chris. ;)

While that is a good deal, I've read too much negative stuff about the rev. A's performance to want to get one. Maybe wait for the rev. B refurbs?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I know what you're talking about, Chris. ;)

While that is a good deal, I've read too much negative stuff about the rev. A's performance to want to get one. Maybe wait for the rev. B refurbs?
The first review is the 1.6GHz 80GB HD, same model I ended up returning. From the first review...

The Air also uses a slower 80GB 1.8-inch drive, the same kind that powers many portable media players. While probably sturdy enough to withstand normal use, it's nowhere near as fast as your average 2.5-inch laptop drive, and will always be behind in storage should you chose to upgrade later. If you can afford to spring for the 64GB SSD option, we highly suggest it -- your machine's reliability, performance, and battery life will all get a boost (at the expense of 16GB of space and a ton of cash, naturally).

I wish the second rev.B review would reference what model was being used.

I guess I wonder how much faster the 1.8GHz 64GB model is vs the 1.6Ghz 80GB?

I probably wouldn't consider it if not for the price. Just very tempting. The 128MB SSD model is $2500, over $1000 more than the 64GB Rev. A. Hard drive space is not an issue for me. Graphics performance...light Photoshop work, iMovie is 30% of my usage. 60% light HTML, coding, blogging. 10% fun.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This is a pretty interesting and comedic take between the two...

However, one major difference I saw while using the SSD model is that it didn't suffer entire machine slowdowns when there was a lot of disk activity—or at least less so than the HDD model. When reviewing the HDD model, using a high I/O browser like Firefox or transferring files over the network to my hard drive threw me more beachballs than a Girls Gone Wild party and rendered the machine relatively useless. The SSD model exhibited little of this behavior—if I were to take my totally unscientific experience and translate it into a number, I would say that such slowdowns were reduced by 90 percent.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
once i finish my PhD and my MBP needs a replacement i fully intend on getting a new imac (decked out) as well as a MBA. i'm not in the market now but you can't beat these prices. great post chris!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
once i finish my PhD and my MBP needs a replacement i fully intend on getting a new imac (decked out) as well as a MBA. i'm not in the market now but you can't beat these prices. great post chris!
Weeks later and I'm still very happy with the MBA. I haven't used my MBP at all, but haven't really needed all the horsepower. Grabbing the MBA is just comfortable.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to kick the MBP to the curb just yet. If my AT&T card would have worked at CES, my MBP was a champ at processing images of the event on the fly. The bottleneck was my data card which was failing throughout my live blog event.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Chris, it's been almost a year now since you bought it. What's your take on the Mac Air? I'm still trying to figure out if 64GB is enough to use MAC and Windows with Bootcamp and if I'll have enough space left over to store anything or if I'll have to shell out the extra cash for a 128GB model.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Chris, when you get a chance I'd like your opinion. The iPad 2 is out and it doesn't have SD Card slots or USB so that just narrowed my choice down to the MAC Air for my next purchase, unless someone else comes out with a thin laptop around the same price or better. What's your take now that you've had the AIR for a while?

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
By the time we get 2011 tax returns, I'll be able to get a refurb Core i5/i7 MBA. =D

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What a difference time makes. Today you can get a MacBook Air refurb for $749.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I FINALLY got what I needed, the lighted keyboard. I'm buying it this week.
Awesome. Been tempted once again to move back to the MBA. I could probably make the trade with ease based on the value of my MacBook Pro.

Which model are you getting?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I FINALLY got what I needed, the lighted keyboard. I'm buying it this week.
Cool! I wish Apple sold backlit keyboards for their desktop computers.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I'm getting the basic 13" 4GB 128GB.

I'm hoping after all the reading I've done that it will work fine with either Bootcamp or Parallels for the 1 or 2 programs that I have that need to be on Windows, like my flight logbook and Office (until I learn how to use MAC's equivalent and move it all over).

I'll be doing a complete jump to MAC so it'll be my only machine. I'm also glad that LION will come already installed saving me some time in learning how to get to some of the programs since the most important ones for me I already use on the iPhone (mail and calendar).

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Doesn't iWork do all the spreadsheet, word processing stuff just like office? I use WORD and the calendar on OUTLOOK and every once in a while EXCEL. I'm hoping to replace the calendar with iCal and then the other ones with iWork and keep migrating to where some day soon I can do everything on MAC and not need Windows.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think so, but I use Office since I was able to get it for $20 through work. I have Mobile Me and I like how it pushes calendar events to all of my Apple devices.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
That makes sense in your case. Anyone else would have to pay $150 for Office for MAC while they could get Numbers (Excel), Pages (Word), and Keynote (Powerpoint) for $60 ($19.99 each). I'm not sure but IOS5 and iCloud should sync all events to all Apple devices soon too.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep, that's all handled through iCloud in iOS 5.