MacBook Air Review

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Ok, I promised I would do a little write-up/review. Here it is:

Screen:
Well, I am writing this on my SECOND MBA because the first one had a bad pixel. And I actually found ANOTHER one on this machine too! WTH?! No one has the MBA's in stock, so I'm stuck with this one for now. The second one is as noticeable, and seems to only show up after being on for a bit. Aside from that, the screen is amazing! Very clear, vivid, and bright. The ambient sensor works great.

Result: 3.5/5 (would be higher, but 2 dead pixels irk me)

Keyboard:
After using a MBP, MB and and iMac's keyboard, I think this is my favorite keyboard. It's not "mushy", and it's very responsive. I personally like the low profile keys and the back-lit feature. A good, solid keyboard

Result: 5/5

Touchpad/Trackpad:
Definitely growing on me. It's very large, which is good and bad. Good from the sense of using it, bad from the sense that when I type, I inadvertently will touch the pad and move the cursor to some random spot. I thought I could disable the trackpad when I type, but I can't. Using better form, this is avoidable though. The new features are great. I like the triple finger swipe, which will go forward and back with one motion. This works within finder and safari, which is pretty cool. I find this very using while browsing for files and pictures.

Result: 4/5

Performance:
Being 1.6Ghz, it's not a screamer, but it's not that bad. It renders webpages quickly and launches programs at a reasonable speed. I haven't tried anything too intense, but I have run excel, word, etc, and those are fine. The 2 GB of RAM really help. It definitely runs faster than I thought it would, so that scored some points in my book.

Result: 4/5

Overall:
Not a bad machine. The remote disk really acts efficiently. It installs at a speed that doesn't feel slow. Installing office did take a while, but I was installing firefox, updates, and other programs all at once. During this time, I felt no lag. The thinness of this machine is really nice. Also, the charger is not as breakaway as the MBP's or MB's. I have to be mindful that it doesn't get caught on one of the dogs. I think it would break away, but I'm not so sure. It's light, and very, VERY thin. :D The coolness factor does make the machine more attractive.

Overall 4.3/5 (not an average of the above scores)

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I wrote this while watching TV. :) I may have forgotten a thing or two to include.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
2 dead pixels? I'm guessing that both your MBA's came from the same store. Wonder if there was a bad patch of deal pixel MBA's produced?!? Anyone else with the Air having DP issues?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
2 dead pixels? I'm guessing that both your MBA's came from the same store. Wonder if there was a bad patch of deal pixel MBA's produced?!? Anyone else with the Air having DP issues?
2 different store, 2 different cities! 1 from Orange, 1 from Irvine. :mad:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
2 different store, 2 different cities! 1 from Orange, 1 from Irvine. :mad:
I used to live in (Northern) Cali and I don't remember if Orange & Irvine are neighbors.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Nice review. Thanks!

I wish I knew when the new macbooks were coming out so I can compare. I am so impatient. I want to get a new computer. I do not buy computers very often, so I need to make a good decision.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Another thing: It's actually quite sturdy for being so thin and small. I was quite surprised, but this casing is very solid. If I didn't have that dead pixel, this machine would be near perfect for what it is.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
No dead pixel here.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Good review; short and sweet ;)

Yeh it is sturdy and feels classy, though nothing can live up to the strength of the old iBook G3 shells (they were made from bulletproof material, according to Apple). I had this for a few years, and my brother uses it now, and its withstanded a lot! At the moment, its sittingbunder the sofa, having not been used for at least 4 months.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So found this out today. And it pissed me off. :mad: Remote disk would work, but drag and dropping files WOULD NOT WORK. I tried EVERYTHING networking-wise. I was on a Linksys WRT54G - the most common router. I did have a Airport Extreme Base Station, but had sold it to a friend who had become an Apple convert (b/c of me).

Anyway - I ended up taking the 2 month old router back to Best Buy and picked up a AEBS. The manager let me return my 2 month old Linksys for full retail and put that toward the AEBS. So, $140 later my network is working just fine. A little aggravating, but the dude at BB did mention routing problems with the Linksys and multiple Macs. So, I just wanted to throw that out there....

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
So found this out today. And it pissed me off. :mad: Remote disk would work, but drag and dropping files WOULD NOT WORK. I tried EVERYTHING networking-wise. I was on a Linksys WRT54G - the most common router. I did have a Airport Extreme Base Station, but had sold it to a friend who had become an Apple convert (b/c of me).

Anyway - I ended up taking the 2 month old router back to Best Buy and picked up a AEBS. The manager let me return my 2 month old Linksys for full retail and put that toward the AEBS. So, $140 later my network is working just fine. A little aggravating, but the dude at BB did mention routing problems with the Linksys and multiple Macs. So, I just wanted to throw that out there....
Crap. I have a linksys router. Will I have to buy a new router for Air then? (if I buy it)

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Crap. I have a linksys router. Will I have to buy a new router for Air then? (if I buy it)
Well - it worked on every other setup. I bought a USB to Ethernet dongle and when it was hooked up via that, drag and drop was great. Wireless internet was fast and worked fine; even the remote disk was fine. It was just the drag and drop that irked me. So it'll depend on your setup and your needs.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I think you should've reviewed the "bang for your buck" option. It seems like a huge ripoff in my eyes. But hey - that's the Apple way.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I think you should've reviewed the "bang for your buck" option. It seems like a huge ripoff in my eyes. But hey - that's the Apple way.
Eh, for me, the price point is a little high, but not outrageous. Just like the iPhone, we pay for the extra "cool" factor. Couldn't the same argument be made about the iPhone?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If you cruise over to the Apple forums, this seems to be a spotty issue, regardless of router. There are some workarounds that pelle have come up with though....

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Eh, for me, the price point is a little high, but not outrageous. Just like the iPhone, we pay for the extra "cool" factor. Couldn't the same argument be made about the iPhone?
For me, no. I jailbroke it and unlocked it. Making it potentially one of the best phones on the market.

The MBA unfortunately is the same as other Mac laptops, even worse maybe. It doesn't see the same light as my iPhone does.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
For me, no. I jailbroke it and unlocked it. Making it potentially one of the best phones on the market.

The MBA unfortunately is the same as other Mac laptops, even worse maybe. It doesn't see the same light as my iPhone does.
yes, I see your point, but keep in mind that I also agree with SOME of what you're saying. My point is that it's great as a secondary laptop, not as a primary machine. I use it mostly to screw around, and don't do anything cpu intensive on it. It's more b/c it's new, and the technology that's in it. Now that I have everything up and running, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. It's MUCH faster than I thought it'd be. My iMac is 2.16 C2D and I swear the MBA keeps up with the simple tasks (mail, internet, word, excel, etc). Now try to throw photoshop on it? I'll find out this week. I plan on putting it on there, just for kicks. :cool:

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
the only thing that i don't like about it right now is that there is no battery indicator ... i know that it not a removable battery but i don't like that have to turn it on to see bat life.... they could/should have added a button on the bottom to see battery life bettter...