MacBook crack

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
OK I thought I would get some of your opinions before I waste my time going into the Apple store and fighting with people. I have a piece of plastic cracking off the side of the screen on my macbook. I want to know if any of you think it is worth it to go in and get warranty service on the computer or if it's a no go and I should just try and glue it down. I've had the thing for about 10 months now. There is now other physical damage around where the crack/chip is occuring. I've treated this thing like my only child, always in a a case along with being covered by a best skins ever. Here are the pictures.

Attachments

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
If it were me, I'd take it in. Thats not acceptable. I also don't see any reason why they would fix it. Unless there is evidence that it was caused by a drop.

I would also get Apple care if you haven't already.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'd say the chances are good Apple will fix it for you. Only one way to find out...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Wow. You should definitely take it in.
I've had my MacBook for a little longer than you and I don't have anything like that going on.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Well I'll take it in this next week once I get some time. I seem to remember reading somewhere in this forum that in order to do warranty service I have to call and make an appointment with one of the geniuses first? Wouldn't it be too late to get Apple care too since I've had the thing for about 10 months.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yes, it's definitely best to make an appointment first.

You can purchase Applecare anytime within the first year of ownership, so it's not too late.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I have had my Macbook for about 6 months and mine is not cracked but one side of the lap top is lifting from the bottom. I also baby mine and have never dropped it. Also if I can get some opinions, my macbook gets super hot on the bottom after about 15-20 minutes of being on. Is this normal?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I have had my Macbook for about 6 months and mine is not cracked but one side of the lap top is lifting from the bottom. I also baby mine and have never dropped it. Also if I can get some opinions, my macbook gets super hot on the bottom after about 15-20 minutes of being on. Is this normal?
Do you mean that area surrounding the keyboard is lifting up? Like from the corners? Hard for me to describe, mine has been doing that almost from day one. I never worried about it though since I don't pull up on them and it hasn't gotten any worse.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Do you mean that area surrounding the keyboard is lifting up? Like from the corners? Hard for me to describe, mine has been doing that almost from day one. I never worried about it though since I don't pull up on them and it hasn't gotten any worse.
Yes, it's hard to describe but that sounds like exactly what mine is doing. I have just left it alone too. It just kind of bugs me.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Yeowch, that really sucks. If you haven't dropped it, I'd definitely bring it in to Apple if I were you. This makes me love my aluminum MacBook even more, though.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
If only they had those sweet aluminum ones when I bought it! Yes, I am jealus...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
OK I thought I would get some of your opinions before I waste my time going into the Apple store and fighting with people. I have a piece of plastic cracking off the side of the screen on my macbook. I want to know if any of you think it is worth it to go in and get warranty service on the computer or if it's a no go and I should just try and glue it down. I've had the thing for about 10 months now. There is now other physical damage around where the crack/chip is occuring. I've treated this thing like my only child, always in a a case along with being covered by a best skins ever. Here are the pictures.
I have the same crack but not in that area. Mine is on the right side palm rest. I glued it and kept it moving. It's barely noticeable now.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yeowch, that really sucks. If you haven't dropped it, I'd definitely bring it in to Apple if I were you. This makes me love my aluminum MacBook even more, though.
I don't know if it's worth taking in if it's not getting any worse but just that little lifting does bug me. Will Apple store even do anything about it you think? My warranty is up in March.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i bet they will. Unless it's a pain for you to get to an Apple store, what could it hurt?

you could always call them too.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yes you're right, I just hate dealing with Apple, by phone or at genius bar. Uggghhh!

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I took it in yesterday. They didn't even ask any questions, looked at it and took it in the back and came out with it fixed. I don't know what other peoples Apple stores are like but mine has proven to be completely painless. They even suggested I bring it in when I can part with it for a day to change out the discolored plastic around the trackpad and wrist rest.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I took it in yesterday. They didn't even ask any questions, looked at it and took it in the back and came out with it fixed. I don't know what other peoples Apple stores are like but mine has proven to be completely painless. They even suggested I bring it in when I can part with it for a day to change out the discolored plastic around the trackpad and wrist rest.
Most of my Apple store experiences have been great. There was just this one time where the guy that was supposed to be assisting me was acting like I had done something to make his day so bad.

Someone else walked over and just looked at the guy like...wtf is your problem. I just chalked it up to him being so overwhelmed; but his attitude was my gain in the end. :laugh2:

Dani, Apple sells a product called iKlear. That along with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will make your trackpad/wrist rest look like new.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm with you... While i don't enjoy going to Apple Stores (too many people, they're in malls around here, and the decor really gets to me), I've always experienced great customer service there. Granted, i haven't needed anything too important to be taken care of (knock on wood). The last time i went, i asked them to reprint a receipt from last October for a warranty issue for Vmoda headphones (not even their product, mind you). I could not remember the form of payment i used, which made it really difficult for them. Although i did remember the exact date of the purchase (long story). Anyway, the guy basically sifted through a 1-hour window of transactions, and found it. He was also very polite about it all... i know how much of a pain it can be to look up old receipts...

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
My macbook started cracking again. It was right where the magnets catch to keep it closed. I just got it back today from warranty repair. The replaced every single key on the keyboard, my trackpad, the trackpad button, and all of the plastic around it! It's like having a brand new computer again! If anyone else has little cracks forming there I would definitely suggest taking it in, they do a nice job! They also said it's a new plastic that isn't supposed to discolor anymore. We'll see how that goes.